The Chronicles of my 12 Gallon Aquapod

T

touchthesky00

Alright so everyone has a diary of their tank these days. So I went to thesaurus.com and got some synonyms.

So my 12g aquapod is coming tomorrow along with alot of salt. I already have the sand and water ready to go in and will probably get the rock later this week some time, probably friday (no school!) .
So basically during this long and boring cycle id like to keep you updated here and also like to hear some infor, feedback, and advice.
first i'd like to ask for some stocking list advice, everything from clean up crew, fish, and corals
imagine this were your tank
, what would you do with it?
ive been throwing around some ideas in my head for fish but can't seem to come across the right combo.
i was thinking maybe a black saddleback clown but i m afraid that might get too big for my tank
or i was thinking an ocellaris and a black ocellaris
and i was also thinking about a catalina goby, but i know that is a colder water fish and not sure if i could maintain a temp level that could sustain the catalina and coral at the same time.
what do you think?
do not limit your imagination to only the fish listed above
thank you!

bs21

Good luck with your tank. It sounds like you are ready to go. One bit of advice being a 12g aquapod owner myself is to make a few modifications before you start. Nothin major but not a bad idea. I recommend blocking the bottom intakes when you get it w/ some aquarium putty of plexiglass so the tank will surface skim better. Sometimes the aquapod has the tendancy to get a film on the top of the water. Also at some point ifyou are going to do corals i think its a good idea to upgrade the pump to a Maxijet 900 but don't need to do that now its easy enough to do anytime but blocking the overflows is good to do before water and before rock is added for easy access.

A

alexa11

Hmm. Well, you are limited to the # of fish in that tank so you must chose wisely. a pair of clowns would be nice...a unique pair! I have always liked the yellow watchman gobies and royal grammas. I think you need to stick with 2 fish in that size tank. But everything else is where the fun will be! As far as cleanup crew, nassarius (sp?) snales are great, do a nice job cleaning the substrate. Turbo snails do well on the algae. stick with blueleg hermits as opposed to green...the green ones did a number on many of my turbos/astrea (sp?) snails. Xenia grows fast and gives alot of movement; i really like it for those reasons. Lots of colorful zoanthids! get a bag of copeopods as well and dump them in. i love my cleaner shrimp and my sexy shrimp pair..they are funny and are currently involved in a 'lover's quarrel'. Well that's my input for the moment! good luck with your stock list!

A

alexa11

Oh and i recently got 3 emerald crabs for my 20, and they are doing a nice job with the algae.

bs21

Also if the temp starts to get to high qith the hood on there are some easy mods for tat also but mine never got to high unlike others aquapods so that may come up. I recommend getting rid of the sponge fairly soon and just get filter floss that can be removed during weekly water changes. Its the same stuff you can get a big bag of at Wal______ for cheap and lasts a long time. If your interested there are other mods you can do to the back chambers like makin amini fuge.
ALL of these are possible things you can do but do not have to do. I don't want to make you think the aquapod is bad because I am really happy with mine I just wanted to customize it for my needs.
Anyway as far as fish go I think two smaller fish are the max for 12g. I have a pair of clowns but a B&W clown and another small fish would be cool. I always wanted a goby of some kind also but do some research on their needs like sand sifting gobies may need more sand than this tank can provide etc.... Other than that the stock lighting (Pc) can support alot of different corals when you get ready for that. If you have any more questions i'll try to help out. Hope I didn't overwhelm you but SW is great and is easy to do once you become more familiar with it.
edit: forgot to mention my cleanup crew. once my cycle was done i added about 8 blue leg hermits and some astrea and nassarius snails. which have done a great job. Sandsifting snails are great so definately check out the nassarius snails. I you want to skip the hermits go with more snails because hermits will kill the snails now and then.

T

touchthesky00

Originally Posted by bs21
http:///forum/post/2566024
Also if the temp starts to get to high qith the hood on there are some easy mods for tat also but mine never got to high unlike others aquapods so that may come up. I recommend getting rid of the sponge fairly soon and just get filter floss that can be removed during weekly water changes. Its the same stuff you can get a big bag of at Wal______ for cheap and lasts a long time. If your interested there are other mods you can do to the back chambers like makin amini fuge.
ALL of these are possible things you can do but do not have to do. I don't want to make you think the aquapod is bad because I am really happy with mine I just wanted to customize it for my needs.
Anyway as far as fish go I think two smaller fish are the max for 12g. I have a pair of clowns but a B&W clown and another small fish would be cool. I always wanted a goby of some kind also but do some research on their needs like sand sifting gobies may need more sand than this tank can provide etc.... Other than that the stock lighting (Pc) can support alot of different corals when you get ready for that. If you have any more questions i'll try to help out. Hope I didn't overwhelm you but SW is great and is easy to do once you become more familiar with it.
edit: forgot to mention my cleanup crew. once my cycle was done i added about 8 blue leg hermits and some astrea and nassarius snails. which have done a great job. Sandsifting snails are great so definately check out the nassarius snails. I you want to skip the hermits go with more snails because hermits will kill the snails now and then.
hey thanks
ik it might seem that im new to swf with my post count being so low or maybe just stupid. lol idk
but i actually had sw before and was active on these boards, then took a year break and forgot my old password so i had to make a new passowrd lol
can u post a pic of ur tank?

bs21

sorry I was just trying to be thorough not knowing if you had any previous experience. give me a min or two to dig up the pics and i'll post one.

bs21

here ya go this was from today.

if you decide to make some mods let me know because some I may have gone about doing a different way.

T

touchthesky00

wow, nice tank
so can i just mix my water in the tank today? since there is no livestock in it?

bs21

well if you are going to mix the saltwater in the tank i would add the sand after the water mixes. sometime the next day, i usually give it 24hrs to mix completely. You could add the sand first and then mix the salwater in another container and add it to the tank when it's ready.

T

touchthesky00

well i added the water earlier and will probably add the sand tomorrow or thursday
haha, funny thing though is my sg is way high like 1.06ish
i thougt i was using too much salt
...stupid

T

touchthesky00

it was red sea
it didnt have anything like that
it was just a certain number of pounds per gallon and i had no way of weighing the salt so i guesstimated
guess ill be doing some freshwater water changes

T

touchthesky00

alright
so i have a couple questinos about my aquapod
there are no fans that come built in? correct?
how does the filtration work? there is nothing "sucking" in water
thanks
ill be putting the sand in today
and rock friday
ill post pics asap

joshr

Originally Posted by touchthesky00
http:///forum/post/2568292
alright
so i have a couple questinos about my aquapod
there are no fans that come built in? correct?
how does the filtration work? there is nothing "sucking" in water
thanks
ill be putting the sand in today
and rock friday
ill post pics asap

Wait theirs no fans?

K

kat74

Welcome back to the boards and back into SW!~

I don't have an Aquapod, so I know nothing about what mods to make, etc... but I'll be glad to follow along your "chronicles".

bs21

there is one fan built into the hood but lik I said some people still have heat issues.
Chamber on the left with the sponge is where water is sucked in because of the pump in the far right chamber. and the water passes from first into the bottom of 2nd chamber then over the top into the 3rd then out of the bottom of that chamber into the pump chamber(4th) if that makes sense?

T

touchthesky00

that makes sense
it just doesnt seem to be too powerful with the "sucking" lol