The damaged coral bin

justinx

Well, a trip to the LFS today yielded some interesting results. I went to the TROPIC . . . OR . . . I . . . UM . . . better not say;)
Anyway, I saw that they have a damaged coral lagoon and happened to see a fully expanded alveopora (yep, counted em' . . . 12 tentacles). I picked it up for only 12.99! I was really excited. But now I have the problem of where to put it in the tank!
Its acclimating right now, and in the process of doing so I am doing some reading and I cant seem to get a definitive answer on what conditions they prefer.
Anyone got some suggestions out there?
Justin

nm reef

Great find. If you can return it to health you'll have a excellant coral. I've had a sweet little cream colored one for about a year now and its still healthy...mine seems to life a bit of moderate/indirect light and a moderate cuurent. I don't spot feed it but I do have a lot of micro infauna diversity and I dose DT's Phyto Plankton weekly. Below is a fairly recent pic of mine.....

justinx

Well, after careful examination of the tissue, I can see where it was damaged, but the tissure recession is about the size of an eraser on a pencil. It really isnt bad. I too dose DT's in my tank, and I have and idea of where i want it to go, but it would be about midway up the tank, with no cover and the current is a little difficult to tell what its like, but a feather duster near the spot is gently waving with an occasional gust. Its either there or on the bottom in the corner. Not the ideal spot because it wont be in view, but well have to see.
What do you think?

jumpfrog

I have mine about a third of the way up on a 72 bow. 260 watts pc and just a little current blowing it's way. Greatly expands each day and seems to love that spot. A great coral and you got a great buy. Good luck with him. Here's mine.

justinx

Well, it has been in its new spot for about 4 hours now, and it has already expanded more so than it was at the store. I guess I will leave it until it tells me other wise. I am going to have to look at the damaged goods section more often!
Justin

D

daniel411

Is that a new section? I've never noticed a damaged coral section there before. Aww, I was on my way their saturday, than got side-tracked :(

justinx

Originally posted by Daniel411
Is that a new section? I've never noticed a damaged coral section there before. Aww, I was on my way their saturday, than got side-tracked :(

I think so, I have never seen it before either. Its way in the back corner of the far greenhouse . . . . right next to their new shark lagoon. Which currently houses two sharks that are identical to hammerheads!!!!! They are related to but not the same as hammer heads, but if I told you they were, you'd believe me. Very cool.
Justin