The Democrat party and gas prices

reefraff

This worked well
""Democrats have a commonsense plan to help bring down
skyrocketing gas prices . . ."
- Democrat House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, April 24, 2006
Two years ago today, and with much fanfare, the Democrats announced their "commonsense plan" to lower gas prices and spoke of the need to make more of America's energy available to the American people.
When Democrats took control of the Senate last January, gas was $2.32 per gallon according to AAA. Since then gas has risen to $3.53 per gallon.
So where is the Democrat plan you might ask? Well, there is none!
While Americans are paying $3.50 per gallon, Senate Democrats are pushing for the largest tax increase in American history. Higher taxes on income, gains, estates, etc. The last thing our economy needs right now is a tax hike.
Instead of focusing on creating more American energy, Senate Democrats have voted to raise taxes on American energy companies, while giving tax breaks to Hugo Chavez's state-owned oil company.
Thankfully John McCain has offered a plan to help hard working Americans with the rising cost of gas. McCain has introduced legislation that would suspend the federal gas and diesel tax from Memorial Day to Labor Day -- traditionally, a big season for travel.
But, as they have done before, Senate Democrats who owe their majority to environmental extremists have kept important energy bills bottled up in committees -- we can't afford letting them do this to Sen. McCain's bill.
The skewed priorities of Democrats have made it clear to voters that they are not well represented by Senate Democrats, who lack a clear understanding of the problems and challenges everyday Americans face.
I have said it before and it deserves repeating -- the costs of a Democrat Senate are clear and mounting. Raising taxes on Americans now could be disastrous. "

nicetry

For the first quarter of 2008, the federal gasoline tax was 18.4 cents a gallon. While it would lessen the pinch a bit, even with the tax suspended you're still paying about 3.50 a gallon (figured at 3.67 a gallon). IMO, it's a nice gesture on McCain's part but it's not any type of solution. Maybe they need to instead relax the restrictions which prevent new refineries from being built in this country. Many believe that this is a large part of the problem/solution.

aquaknight

I guess, as long as we are drill in BFE Texas. But if we have to drill off the Everglades or ---- Alaska some more, I'm fine paying $4.20 for premium for the Caddy

dragonzim

This wouldnt be of any real help. I am paying $3.79 a gallon for regular as it is. That tax break would save me a whopping $3-$4 per tank. When I am already spending $70 to fill my truck another $3 is nothing.

notsonoob

Yeah well,
2007 State of the Union address. "I MOVE TO DOUBLE THE US STRATEGIC OIL SUPPLY"....
That was when oil was at 57 dollar a barrel. Then the media blamed the oil companies for price gounging, when after that speech was when the uptick started and never looked back.
Doubling it was a necesary evil at the time as you had mounting pressure on Iran, and that pineapple head in Venezuala threatening to cut of sales to the US.
The only real culprits here are inflation and demand. Demand is higher because of the US and other countries (even the middle east) expanding use. Inflation, as our dollar is worth almost 2/3rds of what it used to be. That within itself would drop the oil prices back to what? 75 dollars a barrel? Also, just as in the 1970's investors are hedging inflation right now in commodities. It is history repeating itself more than anything else new. The only new part of this equation is that oil demand from global growth is much higher.
Me grumbling about gas prices is no different from my father grumbling about gas prices in the late 1970's and early 1980's.

1journeyman

The Strategic Oil Reserve is unfortunately another white herring argument. The amount we deposit into it per day is literally a drop in the bucket compared to what our Nation consumes per day.

notsonoob

very true, but also if you look at the last time oil went through a glout was just before the time taht was laid on the table. I was just adding it to the demand side as it is still oil being bought at a high price.
It is also funny how a little boat from Iran can push the price up about 5 bucks a barrel.
Worldwide demand is at an all time high as well, however, I defer that it is still because it is inflationary and also because fiscal policy has for now pushed the dollar in the toilet more than anything as the result of a high price of gas and it has nothing to do with politics. This is nothing new, but I doubt we will see very cheap gas again as worldwide demand hedges that bet. It remains to be seen though as demand is also not only going into your truck or car:
http://www.ranken-energy.com/Product...0Petroleum.htm
The Strategic supply reports.
IN a 2004 report
Only about 100,000 barrels a day go into the United States reserve out of worldwide consumption of 82 million barrels a day. The United States consumes about 20 million barrels of oil a day, or about a quarter of global consumption, so at its current level of about 671 million barrels the reserve would provide the equivalent of just two months of crude imports.
AS of April 25th 2008 it is about 701.3 Million barrels of oil,
On February 14, 2007, Secretary Bodman signed the Record of Decision selecting the following three sites for the expansion of the SPR storage capacity from 727 million barrels to one billion barrels:
100,000 BPD = 1/5th the daily production of Equador.

1journeyman

You bring up a great point; The stupid weak dollar right now is playing a large roll in this... No idea why our Federal Reserve has allowed it to tank like this. I understand to a large degree it is cyclical and all but...

reefraff

Originally Posted by nicetry
http:///forum/post/2582684
For the first quarter of 2008, the federal gasoline tax was 18.4 cents a gallon. While it would lessen the pinch a bit, even with the tax suspended you're still paying about 3.50 a gallon (figured at 3.67 a gallon). IMO, it's a nice gesture on McCain's part but it's not any type of solution. Maybe they need to instead relax the restrictions which prevent new refineries from being built in this country. Many believe that this is a large part of the problem/solution.
For waving the magic wand and making a difference one thing the gov can do (and has right after Katrina) is to allow the refineries to all produce a common winterized blend gasoline accross the whole country. It wont have a near term affect but it would definatly help going into fall. The gas tax holiday wight increase tourism a tad but I am not sure its even worth the effort.

salty blues

Please do not vex your little hearts. As soon as obama gets in the oval office, I am sure all these terrible problems we have will be solved. God help us all.

darknes

Originally Posted by reefraff
http:///forum/post/2582863
For waving the magic wand and making a difference one thing the gov can do (and has right after Katrina) is to allow the refineries to all produce a common winterized blend gasoline accross the whole country. It wont have a near term affect but it would definatly help going into fall. The gas tax holiday wight increase tourism a tad but I am not sure its even worth the effort.
I agree that if we could use a single blend across the whole country that prices would be somewhat cheaper. But, we can thank states like California for keeping that from happening (kind of makes me laugh when I see that California also has the highest gas rates in the country).

fats71

Originally Posted by AquaKnight
http:///forum/post/2582686
I guess, as long as we are drill in BFE Texas. But if we have to drill off the Everglades or ---- Alaska some more, I'm fine paying $4.20 for premium for the Caddy

+1
Originally Posted by DragonZim
http:///forum/post/2582773
This wouldnt be of any real help. I am paying $3.79 a gallon for regular as it is. That tax break would save me a whopping $3-$4 per tank. When I am already spending $70 to fill my truck another $3 is nothing.
My wife is going to buy a H-2 and lets think about it 3 dollars per tank for you at two times a week is 6 bucks X's 4.3 =25.8 now X's 52=1341 and change. I think that is a new tank ") call me stupid but hey i'll keep an extra 1300 bucks and call it nice :)) if it is the higher end saving 4 dollars the end result is 1664 saVed per year. Even iff I am off on my math a bit saving money is not a bad thing...
Originally Posted by salty blues

http:///forum/post/2582885
Please do not vex your little hearts. As soon as obama gets in the oval office, I am sure all these terrible problems we have will be solved. God help us all.

Dreams are meant to be smashed as this one will be.
You seriously have to be out of your mind to think obama is going into office and I whole heartedly mean that.
Let's just say it loud and clear voting for OBAMA would just prove the point that common sense is not common..
I am saying that people seriously need to pull their head out of whatever they have it in and READ THE FACTS POSTED IN 55 PAGES ON THE OTHER THREAD AND Actually pay attention to why he is a moronic choice..
I can not stand hearing about OBAMA It makes my skin crawl..
I think most of the people I have met in person who stated they liked obama were junkies and bottom feeders. That is just my personal experience with those who are voting for him. On the ARMY post here where we have marines, Army, Air force and all others I have yet to hear one person say they were voting Dem. I went into a local eatery the other day sat at the bar and you should hear what they think of obama wow the military is not at all for the clown to put it mildly.

salty blues

Originally Posted by Fats71
http:///forum/post/2583047
+1
My wife is going to buy a H-2 and lets think about it 3 dollars per tank for you at two times a week is 6 bucks X's 4.3 =25.8 now X's 52=1341 and change. I think that is a new tank ") call me stupid but hey i'll keep an extra 1300 bucks and call it nice :)) if it is the higher end saving 4 dollars the end result is 1664 saVed per year. Even iff I am off on my math a bit saving money is not a bad thing...
Dreams are meant to be smashed as this one will be.
You seriously have to be out of your mind to think obama is going into office and I whole heartedly mean that.
Let's just say it loud and clear voting for OBAMA would just prove the point that common sense is not common..
I am saying that people seriously need to pull their head out of whatever they have it in and READ THE FACTS POSTED IN 55 PAGES ON THE OTHER THREAD AND Actually pay attention to why he is a moronic choice..
I can not stand hearing about OBAMA It makes my skin crawl..
I think most of the people I have met in person who stated they liked obama were junkies and bottom feeders. That is just my personal experience with those who are voting for him. On the ARMY post here where we have marines, Army, Air force and all others I have yet to hear one person say they were voting Dem. I went into a local eatery the other day sat at the bar and you should hear what they think of obama wow the military is not at all for the clown to put it mildly.

Uh, dude, I was being facetious. I was saying "God help us all" if obama is elected.

skipperdz

sorry didnt read everyones responses. but heres my theory, now i dont know if it will work so dont flame me im just a 26 year paying 3.68 gallon.
so we need electricty, and water right? and they are in the "utility" category right? so we need oil, EVERYTHING revolves around oil whether we want to believe it or not. either as a petrolium by product or as gas ect. why can we as a nation make it a "utility" item? then theres a set price for gas, use of oil ect. that way my gatoraid doesnt go up in price because some arab/s.american/brazilian nation wants to hike up the oil drum prices.
now dont ask me how we propose to do this, since it is just an idea. maybe they set a standard price (1.50?) and then we also get a monthly bill for x amount of dollars. and that money goes to big brother to buy more oil. now i know this isnt full proof obviously im just saying what if.

jj48

Originally Posted by oscardeuce
http:///forum/post/2582221
Drill, pump, refine, repeat as needed.
I don't care if they have to drill straight through a caribou's head, it is time to lessen our dependence on foreign oil. Of course, the picture of the caribou running all over the Alaska National Wildlife Refuge is not accurate. Where it has been proposed for us to drill is a BARREN, DESERT-LIKE area. But since when did facts matter to the Left??
Meanwhile, we continue to give tax breaks to Citgo (owned by Hugo Chavez - a dictator that says America needs to be destroyed) and tax our own energy companies into oblivion.
Nice job, Democrats.

reefraff

The trouble with regulating oil as a utility is the market swings. The government could set a price of domestic crude but then no imported oil would be shipped here. You gotta remember that as a percentage of profit based on investment these oil companies are not even close to the most profitable corporations in the country. If you spend a 100 billion to produce a product an 11 billion dollar profit isn't anything to brag about.