The diff between Ro and Di water filters

nasotang00

I was looking into getting an RO unit from Kent and read that the one I was interested in, 50gpd, will produce 3 gallons of waste water for every 1 gallon of RO water. WHAT A WASTE!! <- no pun intended. So, if I wanted to make 50 gallons in one day, I would be wasting 150 gallons of water? I don't think that is worth the utility bill cost to supply RO water to my tank. I can buy already premade RO/DI salt water at $.90 a gallon.
Enough of my gripe but I found that a Kent DI unit can produce DI water with no "waste water" wasted. What is the difference between RO and DI. Is it worth it? Both articles stated that the units removed 98 - 99% of all tap water impurities.
Can anyone tell me why I shouldn't go with getting a DI unit instead of an RO unit?
Thanks all.

rhomer

I'd like to know also, because this is the choice I went with. The DI unit claims to remove all chlorine, phosphates, and create ph neutral water.
In fact if you use this for a freshwater system, you need to add some elements back to the water. If this is for saltwater, the salt will set the ph of the water.

salty guy

If you only have one tank and can get water for $0.90 then I would sugest you save on the purchas of a filter and buy the water from the store. Because you can spend $100+ for the filter and then every year $50+ on maintaining the filter.