The Fairest Protein Skimmer in All the Land?

jman72

I have a 75 reef tank, and I think that I need a protein skimmer that better fits my needs. I currently have a red sea prizm skimmer, which I will probably sell after I get a new skimmer, but I would like some input on which would be the best. I will accept any advise or ideas. If you happen to know of a good one for a 75, just post the name. Thanks!

al mc

Hang on the back type (HOB)..Remora Pro
In sump: Budget: Coralife Super skimmer
Moderate: ASMs
Expensive: Deltec
Out of sump: MRC

D

dennis210

Can attest that the Corallife super skimmers in 125 and 225 sizes are great but I have finally seen some of the "exspensive" models and they are much better than mine. The Turboflotor 5000 and the Terminator II seem to be unbelievable now that I have seen them in use!

pettyhoe

I can vouch for the Terminator II. I have had it for about 3 months and it skims like a champ. The top doesn't have to be cleaned until the overflow tube is clogged, you just have to empy whatever cup your using for the overflow. It can also be plumbed outside f the tank, which is a nice feature for some. I have mine in-sump, and it also aerates the crap out of my water! I have extensive experience with a variety of skimmers and a tank maintanence employee, and this is by far my favorite.

acrylic51

Depends on price range.....MSX, Octopus Extremes, ASM's, Bubble Kings, Deltecs, MRC....not necessarily in that order, but all considerables IMO......

gatorwpb

Octopus NW, MSX Extreme, EuroReef RS are some of the best that wont break the bank. I use a EuroReef RS100 on my 65g.

stanlalee

I'm assuming you want a HOB since thats what your replacing (besides nobody could answer which sump skimmer is best. too many good ones, price range too staggering).
If you REALLY want the best for HOB cough up the $550 for the Deltec MCE600. worse collection cup but you could live with that. If you want the next best thing (thats not overpriced and has a real collection cup) get the $240 Octopus 800S though I'm sure its more of a pain to own than the deltec (you usually have to do SOMETHING to most octopus skimmers however big or small to get them working optimally). Warner marine H2 $300 probably runs 3rd but its Sedra isn't as good as the AquaBee and SICCE in the deltec and octo (probably doesn't need to be anyway, there aint but so much chamber area on a HOB). I would include the bermuda roque but who wants a magdrive in the tank. all the above have the pump in the skimmer like it should be.

3. maybe

If you want people to tell you you have the best all the time but actually own a mediocre HOB

kniquy

In sump the aqua c urchin pro is good. i have had that on my 75 for about 2 years now. It is a tight fit for my tank because i only have about 22in in my sump. If you want a sump skimmer I am actually going to be selling mine because i recently purchased a precision marine skimmer. That is a great brand for both in sump and HOB skimmers. Just PM me if you are intersted in a sump skimmer. You probably need at least 25in in height to properly service/clean the skimmer.