The heck with ONLY a 6-pak...

nm reef

Lets have a friggin' photo party.
Join in and lets see how many decent photos we can post ....
:jumping: ***) :jumping:

I just took maybe 20 photos of my reef....and during the course of the day I believe I'll shoot many more....as I process them (crop/resize...maybe slight shadow/highlight adjust....rarely sharpen)....I'll post them up for all to see. In a few months my lil reef will be 2 years old...despite a few problems/issues/set backs...I like the way its evolved......
My first peek at Wizardry Reef on this fine Sunday is a photo taken with flash in micro mode...actinic lighting only....early in the AM (the actinics had just come on)...the only adjusts are first crop to select the image I wanted to save... slight adjustment to shadows/highlights....re-sized to fit restrictions here.......and thats it....not great detail but a decent glimpse of what my eye saw sitting on the lower left section of my reef.
So.....
.........as I get 'em ready there will be more to follow.

Post away.....the more the better in my opinion. Marine aquariums and digital photography have become compatable hobbies and threads like this may help development of both. At least it helps me learn how to take and process pics...besides I seriously enjoy viewing the photography of like minded hobbyists!!!!!

nm reef

.... a second selection....just finished processing this one. I've tried to develop a method to process photos I post here......the steps I use from camera to here are:
1...open the photo in photoshop elements and zoom in on the section I want to focus on. Origional size was 2592x1944 pixels.
2...next I crop the photo to define the photo selection...I try to crop only the area I want to focus on. This photo was cropped down to 1487x 1140 pixels.
3...then I normally do a slight enhancement....I adjust the lighting of the origional photo by lightening the shadows and slightly darken the highlights. The enhancement doesn't seriously alter the origional image but does make the photo look "to my eye"... more correct.
4...then I just re-size it fit restrictions here and save it on my hard drive.

nm reef

Seems only my zooanthids caught my eye this morning.....
Lots of zoo pics this morning....they look much different in my aquarium under only the actinic lighting....this is another peek using the flash on the camera. I wish I could get good photos of how they "actually" look under the blue actinics.

nm reef

Yet another photo of some of my zoo collection...again it is shot using macro mode....hand held....with flash....and modifications to the origional have been relatively minimal.

nm reef

I do keep a few other types of coral.....the color and texture of these 'shrooms turned out decent in my opinion. The color of the 'shrooms....the blues and the peek at the frilly greens....as well as the color of the coraline on the LR look very close to what my eye sees....not bad considering I used flash under actinic only lights.

nm reef

Thanks for the compliment...but 95% or so of my sells/trades are local....I seldom ever ship frags. Basically I just don't have the experience shipping corals and its basically a hassel....but I am glad you like 'em.....

nm reef

I do like the diversity of zoos....I'm always on the look-out for a new color morph....these have been extremely hard to photograph due to their location in my reef....under actinic lighting the orange is absolutely brilliant!!! This colony is maybe football sized and has grown out from about 20 origional polyps. This pic is a bit out of focus...and the texture/color aren't that great.....but it is a fairly good look at some of my favorite zooanthids.....

nm reef

One of the most difficult aspects of taking decent photos of my reef has always been being able to capture what my eye actually sees. This photo is as true to my eye as I can get....the colors are nearly dead on to my eye.....and the diversity simply astounds me!!!!

fishmamma

I have never seen zoos that color....maybe cornflower blue or something? Stunning no matter what you would call it, especially mixing in with the other colony.

E

exile415

NM Reef .. How long has your tnak been set up ? Awesome pictures btw

bronco300

wow NM, those zoos are absolutely amazing!!!!!
i'll try to get some new pic s here too, even though it wouldnt touch yours, lol.

bronco300

wish i could have some like yours, workin on it...here are some of my zoos...i use no flash most of the time, sometimes but i like it without better....i open it in paint, crop what i want, and resize it...no enhancements ever. just a couple for now
Luke P