The miracle plate!! Is it ALIVE?

cam78

Ok, quick senario of what happened. Ordered a huge plate online arrived DOA. Threw the skeleton in my live rock tank, which is connected to my entire system, and forgot about it for 2 months. Tonight I went downstairs to check a few things and saw what looked like a HUGE jelly fish in the LR tank. The plate inflated like a balloon and is completely clear.
Is it possible this plate is actually alive or is this some kind of toxin from the plate? Its been in mostly darkness and I saw it often in the LR tank but always looks like the skeleton. I threw it in my refuge with some light to see what happens.

reefkprz

its very possible its alive. I have seen plate corals appear to die off completely then burst out with hundreds of babies months later.

cam78

No picture because it is deflated and doesn't look like more than a plate skeleton. I will put it in my display tank but I don't want it to get shocked going from darkness to LED lighting. What you guys think? Will this color back up?

reefkprz

it can just put it in the lowest light possible to start then slowly move it to brighter light as it colors up.

S

siptang

I still would like to see the picture of this plate as well...

cam78

Sorry guys havent been checking this. The picture would be awfully bland because it looks like a clear plate. No pigmentation except for the pink band around the bottom. When I move it up to the display I will take a picture, promise. Totally a live though. Unreal, it lived in complete darkness for months, and definitely died when being shipped to my house. A little hint, if your plate dies, throw it in your refuge for a few months, it might regenerate. Unreal

fastcroc

Actually I've always heard that if a plate dies, turn it upside down and it will grow new plates ontop of it. I've also seen pictures of this as well. They say don't. Real them off though or it will kill the baby plates, let them separate on their own.

bowfish

Yea plates are very cool mine has sterted moving across the sand bed.It has moved about 3inches in the last 4 days