the new tank

anynamewilldo

I am planning to convert my 125gal to saltwater in a couple of weeks and am really interested in getting some predators. I've drilled the tank, constructed a 35gal wet/dry, and laid out a plenum. Amoungst my favorite fish...triggers, snappers, groupers, and angels. Are there any janitors that get along with this mix?
Also, could anyone recommend a skimmer for less than a zillion dollars?

anynamewilldo

How long should the tank cycle before these snails are added, and how many for a 125?
I would assume I would first need some algae - should I wait 1 month?

dgs174

i put some in right after the cycle was over, my cycle didn't take that long because I had ls and lr. Put in however much you can afford 20-40 might get the job done, although more is always better. snails really don't affect your bioload too much..

pufferlover

Triggers will chomp on snails if they get hungry. I have a 135 and at one point had about 20 snails in it. Due to a small outbreak of ick I removed all of them so I could medicate the tank. After taking them out I realized that the mess I always seemed to have on the left side of what I thought was fish waste was actually the snails waste. Now that they are out the tank is much easier to clean and I have decided that once it settles down I will go with 3 or 4 large snails instead of all the small ones. In some other tanks where I have larger snails they do a better job and the waste is not nearly as bad as it was in the 135.