The numbers on mh lights?

mavmike72

Could someone please explain what the #s on the bulbs mean.
What do these numbers mean. Thanks

teresaq

not an expert here, but the numbers are the colors basicly. 6500 yellow, 10k white, 14k white blue, and 20 k blue, but also rep growth, 65k most growth, to 20k less. its all about what color you like v how much growth you want.
T

geoj

The kelvin is often used in the measure of the color temperature of light sources. Color temperature is based upon the principle that a black body radiator emits light whose color depends on the temperature of the radiator.
These colors that TeresaQ mention are the colors we perceive with are eyes 6500 yellow, 10k white, 14k white blue, and 20 k blue.
Then there is the, Photosynthetically active radiation, often abbreviated PAR, designates the spectral range (wave band) of solar radiation from 400 to 700 nanometers that photosynthetic organisms are able to use in the process of photosynthesis. This spectral region corresponds more or less with the range of light visible to the human eye.
Each light souce has a PAR spectral range and Kelvin color temp. The Kelvin is the color of the light we see and the PAR is the color bands that make up the light.

geoj

No, I think right now some T5s each side of the MH would be more economical for a 75gal. In 2-3 years hopefully the price of LEDs will come down and that would be the time to go for them IMO. I have a 25gal with a 250w MH, plenty of light to put SPS under. The LEDs in my tank just provide light to see by when the MH is out.

reefraff

The Ice Cap LED's are pretty nice. I am not sure if they are strong enough to overcome a really yellow 10K but they might.