The purpose of flow??

aquaferg

What is the purpose of flow in my tank and do I need more???? I have a 55g FOWLR. It has a Bio-wheel 350 and a Maxi-jet 1200. Tank has about 40lbs or LR. Do I want the powerhead to agitate the surface of the water or to flow across the sand bed to throw around debris? I know I don't want dead spots but what is a dead spot really in a FOLWR? My HOB filter creates some flow on the surface and my powerhead is not positioned about 6 inches above the sand bed to try and create a "around the tank" current.... Do I truly need another powerhead?

mr_x

a dead spot is a place with very little/no flow where debris/detrius will accumilate, and eventually cause you problems. the ideal situation is to keep all uneaten food and fish poop in the water column until your filtration can remove it. i'd say you need more flow.

scsdlh34

From what I've learned, you need to turn over your tank 5-10 times/hour in a fish only system, so 55 x 10 = 550 gph and you've got 1200 gph plus some surface agitation with the biowheel and filter. Like what Mr_X said, you want to prevent debris and fish poo from settling on the bottom, which if your Maxi Jet is doing a good job, your in good shape, but if not, I might add like a hydor for a little more flow (1 on each side). Someone correct me if I am wrong!

scsdlh34

Busted! Well then YES, you def. need more flow!!!
Should have done my homework before trying to answer!

Max Flow: 295gph
Max Pumping Height: 69"

truckie174

Don't want to hi-jack this thread, but I have a flow question myself. In my 75gal. It is currently a FOWLR. But I want to start adding coral. I have a ProClear model 75 wetdry. And the reading I have done shows it only being a 300 gph filtering system. I purchased the entire setup and thats what it came with. I also have a korilia #4 which gives me approx. 1200 gph flow. Is this enough?
I am already thinking about building a larger sump. And my tank is not drilled, so I will have to stick with the HOB overflows. How much flow should I be looking at? Thanks Jack