The Queen is in

offshore80

After 3 weeks of tying to get an ammonia spike on the test kit I went on and tested for nitrates and peged a 50ppm. So I knew those 6 jumbo shrimp didn't rot in vain. She's cycled. I guess 80lbs of cured live rock and 36 oz of special blend was enough to keep the tank from cycling. She is doing good in her new diggs. It sure beats the 30 gallon tank at the LFS. She had been bought several times and returned cause she ate everything. Finally the LFS started to warn people that if you buy a queen she better be the only thing in your tank. She had been there 8 months. She's mine now... With her own 180 tank. She's about 8-10 inches but I'm not a good judge on size.

aw2x3

Absolutely gorgeous fish! I had a juvie, once, but she didnt last.
One day, I'll have a 200gal+ that'll house only a single Queen. A guy I know had one that died at 18", housed in a 180gal, by herself...he'd had her for years, after she'd killed off at least 5 other fish.

S

surfinusa

im going to keep one in a big tank one day they are one of the coolest triggersive ever seen :jumping:

K

kimc

Beautiful fish!! Looks like she found her forever home!!!

offshore80

Thanks everyone~
Lord knows what she's been up too cause when we got home from eating out she had thrashed out water all over the front of the tank. Yes, I'm keeping the glass tops on!
She's so fun to watch
I've been wanting a queen for a long time. I just knew it was going to take a lot of money to do it right and that's setting up a whole new large system for her.
If you get one just make sure your up for it.

reeferdave

my lfs has one that is about softball size for 100 bux. im in saint louis mo. im sure that sounds hella exspensive.

offshore80

Fish: $99 dollars
New system:
180gal tank: $625
Stand: $250
wet/dry & Skimmer: $900
Pumps: $250
Cured Live Rock: $500
Heaters & Power heads: $150
Sand bed: $50
lights: $200
Power strips & GFI's: $75
total: $3000.
Fish was pretty cheep! Hee hee

lion_crazz

That is an awesome looking fish. I have always loved queen triggers. Keep us posted with pictures and such!

peter1215

Originally Posted by Offshore80
Thanks everyone~
Lord knows what she's been up too cause when we got home from eating out she had thrashed out water all over the front of the tank. Yes, I'm keeping the glass tops on!
She's so fun to watch
I've been wanting a queen for a long time. I just knew it was going to take a lot of money to do it right and that's setting up a whole new large system for her.
If you get one just make sure your up for it.
I have 7 " Queen Angel. can you put a large angel with a Queen trigger?

aw2x3

Originally Posted by peter1215
I have 7 " Queen Angel. can you put a large angel with a Queen trigger?
You dont put ANY fish with a decent sized Queen Trigger, no matter what species or size it is.
You can keep other fish with juvenile Queen Triggers, but once they reach 5" - 7", they're aggression really kicks in and they'll just destroy anything in the tank with them...including equipment (pumps, heaters, etc).

peter1215

thanks for the advise AW. how about other large agressive triggers like a clown or undualted ? can they coexist with a queen?

aw2x3

For a while...eventually, there's gonna only be one winner and it'll become a species only tank.
I've seen large Queen Triggers tear powerheads off the wall of the tank and eat them. I've also seen one bite and break a large, glass heater.

offshore80

This is too funny... She knows the Algae chips and begs for them... When I com in the room she goes straight for the chips and begs.... Sorry for the glare the flash caused.

psusocr1

that really is one AMAZING looking animal... my fish are really annoying when they see me across the roo with food.. teyw ill splash, spit kick up sand etc! too funny sometimes