The rainforest cafe

jesatfis

has anyone ever been to the rainforest cafe in the palasaides park mall or new roc city
it had one of the most spectacular tank setups in the world its hard to explain without pics but i dont have any but if anyone here has saeen it they know what i mean

dory36

I haven't been to that one, but we have a Rainforest Cafe in Grapevine. My boys and I spend more time looking at their fish than at the stuff in the store. We don't go there too often because it's far away and my youngest is afraid of some of the animals when they start moving around. There's an awesome place in Dallas called the Dallas World Aquarium and the stuff they have in their tanks is absolutely incredible. I can't even begin to imagine the upkeep on some of those tanks! :notsure:

shoimen

I went to the one in Chicago. There were 2 tanks....one was probobly several/many thousand gallons and another that was prolly like 100-200 gallons. The big one consists of two cylinders(that you walk under) and a top cylinder connecting them.
Incredible setups....but the landscapes consisted of fake 'stuff'. Couldn't fathom them doing reef in these things. The fish were quite amazing looking. And there were some crazy combinations of very large specimens.
They've gotta have some wicked filtration on this thing and i cant even imagine the electric bill for the lights alone.

yacobito

I have actually been to both of the places you guys are talking about (Chicago and Dallas Area) and were both pretty impressive. Shoimen, you are right. That walk through tank was unreal. When I was there I hadn't gotten into SWF yet, so I didn't understand how impressive it really was until recently. Dory, I have relatives in Fisco and Plano, so last time I was there we went to the Grapevine Mall and visited the stores. I love that place!

dory36

You know, I haven't been to RFC since I've been into sw, either. I'll have to go again now that I know a lot more than I did before. Yacobito, I actually live between Frisco and Plano. I just put Dallas under my avatar because everyone knows where that is! :D

crazy4reefs

i have heard about that place and i think there is one either in NH or Mass. but i am not sure, does anyone know ? i would love to go there !

nw2sltfsh

there is one in the Burlington Mall - Burlington/Boston, MA
hope that helps -
you can look it up at rainforestcafe dot com

jesatfis

Originally posted by shoimen
I went to the one in Chicago. There were 2 tanks....one was probobly several/many thousand gallons and another that was prolly like 100-200 gallons. The big one consists of two cylinders(that you walk under) and a top cylinder connecting them.
Incredible setups....but the landscapes consisted of fake 'stuff'. Couldn't fathom them doing reef in these things. The fish were quite amazing looking. And there were some crazy combinations of very large specimens.
They've gotta have some wicked filtration on this thing and i cant even imagine the electric bill for the lights alone.

yeah the entrence was 2 tube tanks conected by 1 on top but it continued on 1 wall of the resteraunt and to abought 3 other pilings (that i could see) anyway they had to close and i got madd but it was breathtaking

jstange2

When my wife and I were in Oahu, Hawaii last June, there was this tank that you could look at from the street when you were walking by. I think it was 2-3 stories high, and it was in a mall? I think. I had my FW aquarium, but wasn't into SW yet so I don't remember as well as I should. They had reef sharks, rays, and alot of other awesome fish in the tank. I would have to bet the tank had ten's of thousands of gallons. We saw them feeding one day, and the guy was actually in SCUBA gear. Has anyone else seen the one I am talking about? It is on the main street that runs parallel, closest to the ocean in Waikiki. I am really NOT making this up.

jstange2

Oh, yeah. You could also walk through a ...tunnel? ....through the tank on the I think the second floor.

cowfishrule

i was in waikiki in oct of 01; we stayed across the street from that huge tank in the mall, its like 4 floors high.
they had quite a few humu-humu triggers in there, as it is the state fish

unleashed

they also have one in auburn hills mighigan at geat lakes crossing mall i love that plce the tanks are so awsome.they even have a fish tank bar

moraym

there's one in McLean, VA too, in the Tysons Corner mall. I'll grab lunch over there some days and stop by to take a look.

madison

Ontario Mills in CA has a RFC...I was lucky enough to catch them cleaning it...
They actually stuck a person with the full scuba gear in the tank with a vaccum and the bristle brush for the rocks and decro, diaper cloth for the acrillic.
Poor fish though...all the kids and their parents all banging away at the tank...rattels, baby bottels....rings, keys...make me wanna cry

M

modatomic

I have been to the one in Las Vegas at the MGM Grand. Its pretty cool!

inthabayou

Aquarium World off 290 in Houston has a 40,000 gallon tank covering on of the walls....VEry aggressive tank including 3 6 foot morays..... I just love this place... One of the best LFS I have ever been to...

ophiura

:D I used to work there....and dive in the tank. Also at the Downtown Aquarium, owned by Landry's which also owns the Rainforest Cafe's. The cafe's (under their previous owners) used to have big time issues. But they were purchased a few years back and I think they've majorly improved fish health.
I'll tell you what, I truly miss diving in those tanks.