The Rebuild of my 180 Begins!! And Continues!!

9supratt4

No...no Turf Scrubber here....don't have the space for it. so I'd like to set up a nice 10-15 gallon refugium.
I need tp replace the impeller on my pump as it's had better days. Mine isn't noisy or anything....but am I reading right that the impeller as is is better than the mesh mod??

rigdon87

Originally Posted by 9supratt4
http:///forum/post/3160958
I need tp replace the impeller on my pump as it's had better days. Mine isn't noisy or anything....but am I reading right that the impeller as is is better than the mesh mod??
The mesh mods are "supposed" to perfrom better thats why i was amazed when i switched back.but like jon said there not as reliable, noisier and real finicky.my mesh wheels were a pain from the start,it took me 4-5 days of tinkering,trimming and calls to customer service to get it right.I'm not even gonna mess with the mesh wheels anymore, so If or when you notice a decrease in your skimmers performance try switching back to the pin wheels and you might see a huge diff

9supratt4

Now for the hardest part....aquascaping the rock. I have no idea what I am going to do this time or how I'm going to do it!!

rigdon87

You could go with two or three large islands,thats how i got my 120 scaped and i like it ,or you could just pile it up in the back like everybody else
.either way im stoked to see how she turns out

9supratt4

Rockwork is done!!!! And corals have been moved into the tank....they are sitting on the bottom of the tank for now until I figure out where they are all going. A lot of them broke in the other tank, so now I have tons of frags to sell

Here's what the rock looks like. Don't mind the drip marks....too lazy to clean them right now since they are just going to come right back.

The first person back in the tank was my pistol shrimp...I have to get him a new goby now....

The next to go in will be my 3 chromis....I will let them be for 2-3 days to make sure I'm not going to get a spike and then I'll add some of the others!! It's all FINALLY coming back together!!

9supratt4

More rock?? Where would you put it and why?? A lot of those frags you see are going to be sold. And I have 3 fish that are going to get quite large...Sailfin Tang, Magnificent Foxface & Blonde Naso Tang. I don't want to take up all their swimming room.

rigdon87

Originally Posted by 9supratt4
http:///forum/post/3163691
More rock?? Where would you put it and why??.
I like alot of rock work,I have over 300lbs in my 120.you could build a wall in the back across the lenght of the tank and to the top
. I also have a 180 so i know theyll have more than enough swimming room.Most fish will feel more comfortable and safe with alot of rock work.but like i said it was just my opinion.You have alot of nice lookin rocks though

E

eric b 125

if you dont mind me asking: what is the pistol shrimp/ goby relationship anyways?

9supratt4

Originally Posted by Eric B 125
http:///forum/post/3163918
if you dont mind me asking: what is the pistol shrimp/ goby relationship anyways?
Thanks for the comments!! It's crazy to think I almost sold off everything and gave up. It's still a bit frustrating as I don't want to add all the fish back and having to acclimate each of them again, but I'm getting there....just added my blood red shrimp, skunk cleaner & peppermint shrimp today.
The relationship between the goby and pistol is really incredible. Once they find each other the shrimp digs his huge tunnel network and allows the goby to live with him. When the shrimp is digging an entrance or exit the goby stands guard at the hole. The shrimp will always have an antenea touching the goby so if a larger fish comes swimming by the goby will flick its tail and the shrimp shoots back into the cave. It really is amazing that nature acts this way!!
Do a search on youtube....you'll get a bunch of videos of it

9supratt4

I figured I'd take and post some pictures....maybe that will get people interested

Keep in mind that the pictures are really bad color wise....I can't figure out how to get the colors to show up in the pictures better.
Here are my corals:
Orange Monti Cap (lost a couple big pieces during the disaster)

ORA Green Birdsnest

Some type of Zoa's

Gorgeous Green Hydnophora (Couple pieces broke off this too)

Green Candy Cane Coral

Not sure what this is...Was told it's a Cabbage Coral...it's a very deep green in person

Huge Frogspawn (Have had over a year)

Some type of Favites I think (Very green with a pink center in person)

joncat24

Nice pics....looks good
The pic you have listed as some type of zoa's looks like blastomussa merletti to me....???