The rocks, glass, and the snails are getting brown

Just change from fish only tank to reel tank, it seems to my tank glass is getting some brown stuff, all the snails are 2/3 from white to brown, the worse part is 1/2 of the rocks are getting brown, any advise will be helpful.

snakeblitz33

Pictures would help. Sounds like diatoms or dinoflagellates but won't know for sure without a picture or two.

What did you change up to move to a reef tank?

Jhoss1511

Sounds like diatoms ( more of a peppering like covering of everything?) if Its Dino it will be more slimly possibly looking like hair algae with bubbles trapped in it. I would bet it is diatoms, they feed off of silica in the water. By adding new coral your probably introduced silica that was on the plug, or if you added a column of Zo's could have been on the LR. Fairly common on new tanks or when adding anything new to the tank. Once the diatoms use up all the silica they should begin to die/dissipate. What type of water are you using? and what filter media?

I have a Hydor Professional 600 Canister Filter, I just start to use RO water (16), I was having hair algae problem, now all are gone. Recently I have started to use Bio-Balls, it help a lot, but it start to break Ceramic Rings every time I add water or feeding the fish.

Jhoss1511

IMO canister filter will suit just fine on a tank 40Gallon or smaller, or a hang on refugium. As the tank gets bigger I would defiantly advise a sump/refugium set up, however I have seen many nice reefs aquariums run on canisters. I guess its just a matter of opinion just how some say you don't need a skimmer. Grant it a sump set up with some LR and Chaeto would help the algae issue. If not interested in that type of filtration/or not possible, I would grab a product called phosgaurd by seachem to put in that canister I really like the stuff and helps keep my phosphate and silica down. JMO! haven't been able to se those pics.