The Spotted Mandarin in a NANO?

<3fishchef

would the Psychedelic Mandarin be a good candidate for a 12 gal reef tank because ive heard mixed suggestions.

corally

No! Mandarins require a very mature reef tank with at least 100 lbs of LR because all they eat is pods.

I have a mandarin and they totally decimate the pod population even when you have 100 pounds of liverock, definately not a good thing for a nano. Even the mandarins who accept frozen brine/mysis die due to lack of nutrients. Beautiful fish but not for the novice.

corally

Originally Posted by bbuck_camelback
I have a mandarin and they totally decimate the pod population even when you have 100 pounds of liverock, definately not a good thing for a nano. Even the mandarins who accept frozen brine/mysis die due to lack of nutrients. Beautiful fish but not for the novice.

and the chances of finding one that accepts frozen is close to zero.

promisetbg

Please...don't even make the suggestion that if they eat frozen food then it would be ok. Dragonets{and this includes greens,psychedelics,and scooters} need to have a strong pod population to sustain them,and plenty of LR. In a small tank they would die a slow agonizing death.

nanomantis

Originally Posted by corally
and the chances of finding one that accepts frozen is close to zero.
both of my green mandarins accepted frozen food days after i added them to my tank
but apparently i just got lucky, i have like 120 lbs of LR too though and they both did great (ich killed one, sixline wrasse got the other unfortunalty :mad: )

Originally Posted by corally
No! Mandarins require a very mature reef tank with at least 100 lbs of LR because all they eat is pods.
Typically you are correct. But I have heard other reports that by using Ocean Pods Mandarins, seahorses, and other aquatic life seem to thrive when this is added to your aquarium. It is worth a try. I will be adding it to my 24 gallon nano because they also help control the water quality by eating the unused food which can eventually lead to bacteria overload in your tank.

fisherson

the only store around here that carries the ocean pods sell them for 30 dollars for a 4 ounce bottle..i'm not sure if that's worth it or not...you'd end up spending more on pods than just building a refugium in the first place and harvesting them.