The Stock for my new tank.

hillius31

I just set up my first salt water tank a few weeks ago. I have been letting it cycle and have been going to my LFS every day for the past week just looking at the fish trying to see what I want. So heres my list so far.
A Volitan Lionfish
A Red Caribbean Stonefish
A Snowflake eel
And A Chocolate Chip Starfish
I dont know if all these guys will get along or not. So tell me what you guys think. And yes I know the first two fish are venomous. Ive been doing research on them for a while know. I was also wondering if these guys will be ok in with coral.
thanks for your guys help.
Hillius31

naikaze

Chocolate Chip Starfish will eat the coral, but other then that it should be fine unless it's in a small tank.

hillius31

The tank is a 55 gallon tank. Ok is there any starfish that wont eat the coral. Oh i was also going to get some hermit crabs too. How many do you guys think I could put in the tank.
thanks for your help
hillius31

santiago

Linckia Sea Star, Blue is reef safe. I perfer not to put hermit crads in because as they get bigger they become sort of careless and just knock off corals and stuff. make sure your lid is tight because the eel can escape. Good Luck

prk543

That lionfish will probably get too big for a 55, i would recommend going with a dwarf species. Not too knowledgeable on the stone fish, and the snowflake will be just fine in that tank. Good luck

prk543

you probably want some hermit crabs, those fish will put off a bunch of waste, so you want ones to keep detritus in check. I would say 15-30 (only a few blue legs, I believe that they only eat algae(might be wrong though)), maybe a brittle star and a handful of nassarius (sp?) snails. Those should keep your fish waste in check and clean up any of the scraps.

hillius31

I figured the lionfish would get bigger. Does any one know if they grow fast or not. I have a 100 gallon custom made tank that I have 2 Oscars in right now, but im buying a 150 gallon tank for them next week. I set up the 55 gallon to see how I like and was gonna let it run for a year then I planed on setting the 100 gallon tank for the fish that I have in the 55 gallon.
Thanks for the help.
hillius31

mike22cha

Originally Posted by hillius31
http:///forum/post/2456649
I figured the lionfish would get bigger. Does any one know if they grow fast or not. I have a 100 gallon custom made tank that I have 2 Oscars in right now, but im buying a 150 gallon tank for them next week. I set up the 55 gallon to see how I like and was gonna let it run for a year then I planed on setting the 100 gallon tank for the fish that I have in the 55 gallon.
Thanks for the help.
hillius31
Don't get the V. Lion, instead get a dwarf lion fish.

mike22cha

Originally Posted by hillius31
http:///forum/post/2454812
The tank is a 55 gallon tank. Ok is there any starfish that wont eat the coral. Oh i was also going to get some hermit crabs too. How many do you guys think I could put in the tank.
thanks for your help
hillius31
Are you making this a reef or FOWLR aggressive? If you're doing a reef than I would suggest a complete re-do on your stock list. If you're doing an aggressive than get a chocalate star.

hillius31

Ok one thing that I am very confused about is the Reef? Is reef different from coral? I guess I dont know what the difference is. Any ways my LFS has a cool dwarf lion, but the lady is kinda scared that the stonefish might try and eat him. But I dont think he will. The stonefish is in a tank all by himself and I asked the lady if he would eat hermit crabs, she didnt know so she threw a few in the tank. The stonefish grabbed one in his mouth and then spit it back out.

thanks for all your guys help so far, you all have been helping me out ALOT

hillius31

hillius31

So I think in this tank im just gonna do the FOWLR. I think that would be best. What do you guys think.
thanks,
Hillius31