The Ups and Downs of Anemones

broncofish

Over the past couple of months I have grown uncomfortable with my advice regarding anemones. A few other hobbyist’s advice and mine is usually “don’t get one” and the response “Why” answer “because most aquarist don’t fair well with them”. While these statements are true there are several of people that do fair well after years of experience with them, and I’m sure the same people we tell not to get them notice them in our tank pics. It’s like telling your 16 yr old kid ”Don’t smoke pot” when in fact maybe you still do, or used to, and a better defense is to tell him the truth about it, like “it feels cool, but than after a while you can’t even remember where you put your car keys, or if you even have a car” So instead of doing the blanket “no” response I am going to write a little report about the ups and downs of my favorite anemone the Ritteri anemone. If the mods and other people like it maybe they could make it a sticky, or add the goods and the bads of their own anemones and it could be a real life glimpse at keeping anemones for newbies, and experienced SWF people a like. With out further ado here I go.

broncofish

The Ritteri Anemone (Heteractis magnifica,) was formerly known as Radianthus ritteri until the early 1980’s. In the wild it can grow up to 3-5 ft in diameter, and is usually found at the top of Coral Reefs in Indo-Pacific region, and the Indian Ocean. The have Purple, Red, and Brown bases with green, purple, or green with purple tipped tentacles. If it has pure white tentacles and a buff brown body than it is of the Kenyan variety .All other colored bases should not have white tentacles or else it is considered “bleached”. Once a Ritteri is bleached is almost impossible for them to recover. They are one of a few anemones that are a natural host for False Perculas (Amphiron ocelleris). They pack a potent sting, and are capable of damaging most corals and other anemones. In the aquarium they often climb the glass looking for an ideal location of light, and water flow.
Tank Conditions- Tank should be well aged, with plenty of trace elements, and medium to heavy water circulation with varying currents. To keep it from roaming it is best to set a frame out of live rock leaving only the area you want it to climb open. There is some debate over whether it is better to top off with RO/DI or minimally purified water. They can quickly outgrow small tanks, and should not be housed long term in anything less then the 75g-90g range depending upon how much room one is willing to dedicate to it.
Feeding- Like most anemones the Ritteri has a symbiotic relationship with the Zooxanthellae that live inside it. I have also found that as they grow larger they require feedings of shrimp, silversides or squid almost daily, and twice a week when they are small.
Lighting- As a rule of thumb most people say 5-8 watts per gallon. I think that is a good guideline but by no means should be used to determined suitability of housing this species. From my own personal experience Ritteris will climb the glass whether it is housed in a tank with Metal Halide, VHO, or PC’s. The are often burnt from metal halides, and seem to flourish under VHO, and PC’s. The largest I had seen in captivity was 2 feet in diameter at an LFS. It had crawled to the top of the glass in the corner as far away from the light from the metal halide as possible, and spent most of the day in Shadow or light from the supplemental PC’s.
Personal experience. I kept one of the Kenyan varieties in my tank for 11 months. It had actually successfully split 4 times, but was later killed by a heater I left unguarded.(completely my fault and I feel like a Jacka$$) The one clone is still alive and well in another local reefers tank last I heard, and the second clone died shortly after the split, the last two died in my tank almost immediately after the split. I had it under T5 lighting for 3months, and PC’s for the other 8 months. I have recently acquired another small ritteri, in trade for a tank bred BTA I had. The ritteri would have died in the set up it was in, so it is more of a mercy thing or else I never would have accepted it. This particular anemone would rank 9 out of 10 on difficulty with only the Carpet anemone being more difficult IMO. Definitely not recommended for beginners, and should only be kept by somebody willing to dedicate a large amount of tank space, and time feeding it. The clone that I sold and is still alive, is just over 8” across and is housed under PC’s and 2x175w MH in a 180g tank. This is my experience I hope it helps, or spells out more plainly why they are so hard to keep.

broncofish

Here is a pick of my first one, under PC's. I will try to get a pic of the clone, and will definately get a pick of my new one tomorrow.

krux

everybody seeking a sticky. there a mod position up for grabs or something? :p
great article bronco. it is unfortunate that the hobby was portrayed for so long as a glass box with a clown and an anemone, it is my firm belief that one of the reasons so many people get them and kill them is that it is in many ways the stereotypical saltwater package.
i really like the current trend of people getting a variety of easier to keep corals, and letting the clowns (or damsels or whatever you are keeping) select something to their liking, rather than read in a book that "this clown loves that anemone" and throwing the combo into a tank, later worrying why they never bond.
education is obviously the key, just as tank raised and net caught livestock is becoming more prevelant, i think the fact that these are fragile creatures is also being spread... a step in the correct direction if you ask me.

sammystingray

They live THOUSANDS of years in the wild, and even lucky hobbiests get a couple years out of them (most MUCH less). That's about equal to a dog living ten days if his normal life would have been fifteen years......would you claim success if you kept a dog alive ten days??

overanalyzer

Hey good job B! Nice info - the thing that sticks out:
In the wild it can grow up to 3-5 ft in diameter

Meaning the ned be he aameaning the tank would need to be huge to accomadaeaning the tank would need to be huge to accomadate it ....
Mod position up for grabs?? Nah - I think several of the regulars here are sharing and taking stances on items they find important or are motivated to share ....
Like Kip's awesome thread on snails and Tim's post on Aptasia or mine on Nass. Snails - we've done a bunch of research and instead of replying to a thousand differnet posts it is easier to summarize and post - I love those kind of posts!!
Sammy - ten days?? IF I could get a dog past my wife for ten minutes I'd consider it a success ..... seriously though as Samuel Smiles once said:
We learn wisdom from failure much more than from success. We often discover what will do by finding out what will not do; and probably he who never made a mistake never made a discovery.
I see this thread as yet another great example of not buying an anenome unless it is aquacultured!

broncofish

Originally posted by krux
everybody seeking a sticky. there a mod position up for grabs or something?

I think people are missing the point, not to get a sticky, but I believe I realisticaly described the cooleness, and just how freeking hard, and unpredictable these things are
Sammy~ Everybody has heard those comparisons, but it does not stop people from keeping them....hence me writing the article, not to scare but inform. Also I do consider it a success to have a Tank propped BTA, A ritteri split
Overanalyzer~ yes big tank, or medium large tank where that is about the only thing in there. Yes you hit the nail on the head jerome, buy aquacultered.
If we instantly trounce anybody who asks an anemone question we are doing this hobby a disservice. If we explain just how hard something is to keep then maybe, just maybe it will make them rethink.
So please if people have had hard varieties, or even easy with success or failure please post, specifics, pictures, Last I checked just about everybody on this board is not sattisfied with a "Just because I said so" kind of answer. BTW I don't know if I made it clear but I believe in tank propped anemones and if it were not for that ritteri being in a tank with to little light, and already being pulled out of the ocean I would have not done the trade. Would I have been better off to let it die because homie did not know how to care for it, or put it in one of my tanks and give it a chance at life.

krux

maybe that came off as insulting or challenging or something, i was just amused at myself and the board at the moment. what i should have said was why bother with a sticky on this, the thread is so usefull just the posts alone will keep it at the top!
as a moderator on a number of very active boards (not nearly as active as this one hoever) i have learned judicial use of sticky tabs. boards can become overflowing at times with things someone believes everyone else ought to read. luckily careful judgement is maintained here by our mods. some boards not only sticky the top, but place them on the top of every page (annoying when there are 15 stuck items and only 25 lines to a page).
at any rate, great research, thanks for sharing for those of us who do not have access to all of the books and media that this great stuff comes from. and from where i am sitting, if i can possibly think of anything usefull to add, i will help keep them at the top! for the folks like kip, over, plum, tim, bronc... thank you for your hard work.

wrassecal

My bta is a clone of my original one that was given to me as a gift from a well meaning family member when my tank was only 2 months old:eek: How on earth the thing survived much less split is a mystery. I started studying an researching like crazy. When this same person started a saltwater tank and then later wanted to buy an anenome I asked her to please not buy one and take one of mine. Now they are both happy and healthy (so far, knock on wood, all that stuff). I think that a combination of decent water conditions, proper lighting and regular feedings of meaty foods has kept mine healthy. A tank raised tomato clown now resides in my bta clone and a maroon clown resides in the original in her tank. I would never buy another one. I'd try for corals that clowns will host in, but I have to admit I love my bta. Here is the clone and the clown.

dima96

1st off great info, i made the mistake of buying a seabe, when my tank was far to new to support it. and i now have a hatian pink tip. that an lfs actually gave me and my one of my percs is hosting in(yeah!!)and seems to be doing well. but on the negitive the stupid thing is 4 times the size of when i got it and i think it ate one of my chromis. but it is really cool to see articles that show both sides

jim27

Good info. Personally I only have experience with BTA's. I bought my first one about 7 months ago, which split about probably about 5 months ago, maybe two weeks after that I bought a rose bta that looks like its nearly doubled in size. I thought three anemone's was a bit much for my 18 gallon so I got rid of one of the twins as i call them.
I feed them everyother day, whatever I'm feeding my sharks at the time. Lately its been squid. They're under a 150w 10k de MH.
Attached is the pic of my remaining two anemones, a rose and a normal bta. The pic is pretty old though, from maybe about a week after I bought the rose. Both look about the same only bigger now.

sammystingray

MY point.......people will keep anemones, but I feel if you have to ask about their care or read a post here about them, then you shouldn't get one. If we are ever going to be able to keep them with good success rates, then of course someone has to keep them so we learn, but if you have to ask what lights they need, then you shouldn't buy one. A bunch of folks new to the hobby that don't even understand what is happening as their anemone dies doesn't help us learn a single thing except that anemones sure do get mushy and fall apart. Only those that have a knowledge of how they work should really keep them right now....we can learn because they can relate to us what went wrong, instead of ....."my anemone is upside down, and his legs fell off". Killing them one after another without learning a thing doesn't help. So, anyone that has to ask about them here, will get my answer to not buy one....the folks I don't mind so much trying to keep them and learning more, well....they generally won't even need to ask about them here......

wrassecal

Sammy - Knowing what I know now I don't think we should buy them at all. My bta would have to be thriving long after I'm dead of old age for me to claim success. but.....
Originally posted by sammystingray
MY point.......people will keep anemones, but I feel if you have to ask about their care or read a post here about them, then you shouldn't get one.

that bta is what started me researching like crazy and how I found this board in the first place. I think that this board is a good place to ask questions about them. You get the advice and experience of other aquarists here. When we first start in this hobby many times the lfs is the only
person that is giving us advice and we (usually) believe them. A lot of the written info that is easily available mentions things like good water quality, mature tank, stats for water, tank size etc. and a lot of it is conflicting and/or confusing. Until we start interacting with experienced reefkeepers we usually don't really know exactly what all that means. That belief in the lfs is also a main reason why when we are new we will post about something that is already in our tanks and not doing well. With the exception of a very few people, I think that most on this board are backing up what they've read or asking where to look, by asking for info and experience of the members here. I've avoided many mistakes and possible livestock deaths by getting opinions here first. I've also learned how to set up my system and troubleshoot problems by asking questions here. Actually, this board has been my most valuable resource since I started in sw. My opinion

reefnut

If not here then where? The LFS will not tell us not to buy one for any reason. In a perfect world everyone would do 6- months of research before starting a salt water tank. In our world, we research as we go.

broomer5

I've been following this thread and agree that keeping an anemone is no easy task.
In all honesty .... I've had three.
One rose bubbletip - that was under insufficient lighting and water conditions. Went on a two week vacation, and when I returned it had died and fouled the tank terribly.
I had significant nitrate and phosphates, and very poor lighting.
I'm sure that even if it had survived - it would have died eventually. I was not prepared to keep it alive.
My tank was not prepared, and neither was I.
It died within 6 months.
I had a condylactis anemone as well. Less than one year it went through a total dropping of it's tentacles. They all grew back.
I was still not prepared to keep one.
Insufficient lighting and I was still learning how to maintain my water parameters.
Pretty sad really.
Presently I keep a Sebae anemone.
The thing with Sebaes, and most anemones - when they are collected they expel most of their zooxanthellae.
They appear bright white at the store. Because of this, most die.
They may last awhile - but eventually they wither away.
Occasionally - under proper high intense lighting and excellent water conditions - I've read where they can regain their zooxanthellae.
Even if they do regain their color-sembiotic alage, this is no guarantee that they will live long.
They are tricky for sure.
I'll post some pictures for those interested.
This first photo is about a week after I bought the Sebae.
It was a typical speciman found in many stores.
Bleaced out - pure white - purple tips.
Tentacles were short and fat - another sign that it's not doing well.
In my 75 gallon tank under 260 watts of PC lighting - it was alive but clearly not going to make it.
I was foolish to buy it in the first place.
Here's how it looked January 2002.

broomer5

Still under 260 watts of PC lighting - although it was fed twice a week or so - this anemone was still not doing so well.
The Clarkii clown took to it immediately - but would steal the food.
I had to hand feed this anemone and shoo away the fish.
Some color was returning.
Some of it's zoo was returning - but it still was mostly white.
This photo was from August 2002 - 8 months after I got it.

broomer5

After adding a refugium with macro algae, running the skimmer and increasing my lighting - this anemone began to do better.
I upgraded the lighting to
440 watts VHO and 500 watts of MH.
I finally got my nitrates and phosphates to nondetectable levels with my kits.
Here's a November photo - 11 months after purchase.