The Water Change Club

cranberry

I think we've all become really good at recommending how often someone should change their water.... often not a model after our own habits.
Who changed water this weekend? How much? Do you change it as often as you would like?
I keep logs, so I can't avoid the cold ugly truth when I don't do a water change in awhile. Maybe a more public schedule will keep me honest. Who wants to also publically share their water change habits? Like the old Weight Watchers incentive of getting weighed in front of everyone..... starts from your current change... no sense looking in the past.
So far this weekend....
  • 100g Scorpion Tank - 25g (01/22/10)

cranberry

Originally Posted by Tank1483
http:///forum/post/3216020
55g reef - 15g change 1/23/10
Semper Fi!
Okay, it's Sunday.... no excuses. Who wants to join the club? Look at your tank.... it needs a water change doesn't it... I bet it does.

flower

I change my water once a month, next time is due around the 28th. I clean my canister at the same time. I also log everything I do.

spanko

29 gallon biocube. Water volume after displacement by rock and sand about 25 gallons. 5 gallon Nutrisea Natural Seawater. (20%) 23-Jan-10

spanko

Calcium and Alkalinity. I dose these with ESV b-ionic 2 part. About 5ml of calcium and 10 ml of alkalinity daily. I check Magnesium about 1 time a month.

R

rcreations

I've been doing 10% water changes weekly for the past 3 years, never missed it once.
But I don't test my parameters often, except for salinity.

well this post made we walk down stairs and do a 15g change on my 55
, this will be my second in 12 days, i try and do one every week (sometimes this fails) even with a light fish load (one) and a decent coral load!

meowzer

Yesterday I did 3g's on the 29G and 10g's on the 54G
next week I will do 25G's on the 225G
I try to alternate where I do the 2 smaller tanks one weekend, and the big one the next.
Have not run any tests yet today

mony97

Originally Posted by RCreations
http:///forum/post/3216048
I've been doing 10% water changes weekly for the past 3 years, never missed it once.
But I don't test my parameters often, except for salinity.

Same here but only for about a month in a half, and also the same for my same for parameters

S

shrimpy brains

Cranberry: she's like our own little Jimmy Cricket!

Yes, I planned tank maintenence today, but have been lazy so far! I will get off my butt, and report back later! Thanks for the motivation!

monalisa

46 gallon bowfront...last Sunday I did a 6 gallon change...today I did a 4 gallon change. I aim to do an approximate 10% change every weekend. This usually ends up being more like every 2-3 weeks...gotta open up a whoppin' COWA (can of whoop ass) and get things done... when they're SUPPOSED to get done!! But that's must me...
Lisa

S

shrimpy brains

Ok: 1g on the 5g Dwarf horse
2g on the 10g Lion,redfin
6g on the 29g Clownfish anemone
15g on the 65g Soon to be Erectus
Doing the 125g reef next weekend

socal57che

I have done three this week totalling about 25%. (I am vacuuming flatworms) Ideally I will change about 75% in a month's time. I need to refill my containers, but we had some serious rain out here and I need to wait a while before getting more water.
I get free filtered seawater from Scripps Aquarium, but they pump it from the end of the pier near the college. That's why I'm going to wait until the water clears up before I get more water.
It'll be a couple weeks 'til I feel good about getting their water. Next water change, I will service my canister and scrub the skimmer down good. I currently have 6 gals left to do this. It'll probably be on Tuesday.

I am guilty of letting it "slide" and I think we probably all are at some time or another. I agree that a log book is brutally honest. That's why I recommend keeping a log for anyone on a weight training or dietary mission.

It's also why I will never keep a water change log.