Therapy Dogs?

mimzy

OK, so, Roland, my newly adopted Basset Hound, likes people. Like.... a LOT. There is not a human being in this world that dog does not want to wag his tail at. I swear, if a burglar came in the night, Roland would ask him for pets. We can't get down the street for his morning walk b/c he has to greet everyone walking by.
He isn't rambunctious, mind you, he doesn't jump on people, he just wags his tail and gives you "The Look," until you pet him.
So I've been thinking....and reading... and have come up with the notion that he might make a darn good therapy dog. Anyone around here have the canine good citizen certificate - or another therapy certification? What are the programs like? Are they expensive? How do you find the experience of bringing your dog to hospitals/hospices/homes?

katieb

Most hospitals, nursing homes, etc do not require a certificate to bring them in, people do it all the time, I bring my dog in. You just need to provide a rabbies vac paper. Rewarding, I think.

mimzy

Wow Katie, I didn't realize.... do you call the hospital first to arragnge a visit or do you just walk right in?
Honestly, I'm suprised hospitals don't require a bit more from visiting dogs... I mean, how can they be assured these dogs aren't going to have fear or dominance agression? How do they know these dogs won't transmit something to the patients? At least w/ dogs who are certified they know the dogs' medical history, have a good idea that these dogs have been properly socialized in a hospital setting, know that the dogs consistantly follow basic commands and do not have agressive tendencies!
Then again...I guess these places are just so happy to have people asking to visit that they can't be choosey about it.
Either way - Kudos to you. It's really a beautiful thing to do. I would very much like to be a part of it.

katieb

Yes, I would definatly call the hospital and ask for the volunteer coordinator. She would give you specifics. Same w/ homes(if you mean nursing homes) and yes, they are just happy to have them in. Supprisingly, they don't all require certification thinking of -bites liability, flee infestations, ticks..
It is nice, and the dogs enjoy all the attention also! If you become a regular, they will know your dogs name before yours. Kinda funny.

lovethesea

OMG........the people at my Mom's nursing home would adopt him!!
They have many dogs that come and visit. Lots of tail wagging and kisses.
The owners swear its just as good for their animals as it is for the people there.
All you have to do at my Mom's is call the activity director. Oh...Ronald is gonna break some hearts with those eyes ! :joy:

sugarfox03

Most places require the dog to atleast have the CGC (canine good citizen) just to show the dog has been thoroughly evaluated by a professional. Start off going to just pet stores in general. The dog needs to learn to sit and wait to be pet (if he doesn't do it already!) The CGC test is very simple, its a series of 10 different items the dog will be tested on. Just spend a few months on training, you can take him to a class which is around here around $100 for 8 sessions (I recommend this one, so he's used to behaving and listening to you around other dogs). When I get a little more time, I'm going to train my pit bull to be a therapy dog. He LOOOOVES people, especially little kids, and brings such joy to anyone who meets him. Maui (my american bulldog) already has her CGC, but she's too big & goofy (throws her weight around) to be a therapy dog. But Magnum is very good about sitting nicely for pets and is wonderful with giving kisses. A dog that is not bothered by being dressed up normally does really well as a therapy dog - who can resist a dog thats dressed up all cute?! Therapy Dog work is fun and very rewarding! Good luck with it!

silversibe

Many hospitals actually have programs, you would need to get in touch with them to see who coordinates.
At the very least most require a CGC, and usually you get involved with a group who does therapy visits. They also may require you pass some tests of their own. Therapy dogs really need to be unflappable, easy going and gentle. A dog who gets excited and jumps around could knock someone over.
CGC testing really just tests that you have good control over your dog, and that it isn't resentful of being touched by a stranger. There are several points you need to pass- and you must pass them ALL. Akc.org has a list of exactly what you would be tested on. They need to heel, stay, come, down, accept brushing without breaking a stay, seperation from owner, ignore another dog when you stop to greet a person etc. Its actually harder than it sounds-- usually people struggle with the dog-dog interaction.
Your Basset sounds like a sweetie. Make sure YOU can handle the visits though- sometimes they can be really depressing for the handler.