Thermometer broke

m0nk

I haven't setup my new 29g QT yet, it's been sitting dry for a week, and I stupidly had attached one of those cheap thermometers (below). It apparently lost it's stick and fell 16 inches to shatter on the bottom. The tank is still empty, but all the little "pellets" that were in the bottom of the thing as weight are scattered across the tank and there is broken glass mixed in. The red stuff didn't come out that I could see (it appeared in tact inside the thermometer) which, I'm assuming, is colored mercury.
So my question: how bad is it? Will I be ok to just rinse out the tank really well and still use it, or is it now trash that needs replaced? Thanks.

scsinet

You should be able to vacuum out the bits with a shop vac and simply rinse the tank clean. It's incredibly doubtful that the pellets caused any problem.
Even if the thermometer broke, they are usually made with alcohol these days, so even then you'd be fine.

m0nk

Originally Posted by SCSInet
You should be able to vacuum out the bits with a shop vac and simply rinse the tank clean. It's incredibly doubtful that the pellets caused any problem.
Even if the thermometer broke, they are usually made with alcohol these days, so even then you'd be fine.
Whew, that's good news, thanks.
I've had a heck of a time with weird luck lately. I got my RO/DI unit today and the original setup I was going to do didn't work out, so I had to setup a little station by my washing machine, which meant I needed to get a splitter with valves since I decided not to get the float shutoff valve yet. I nailed the boards into the wall, mounted the unit, and the waste water hose was 3 inches short of the washer waste water line...ugh.

trippkid

Alex, I have some extra tubing, not much but you're more than welcome to it. I have some Jaco "T" fittings, you would just have to cap one of the ends off. I thought I had a coupler, but I couldn't find it.

Did you get all that you wanted today? What brand of RO/DI did you go with?
I sure am glad I used to work there. Today I went to get a Mag 18, didn't call first, never do and it usually bites me. I looked on the shelf and there weren't any there, so I got the other stuff I needed, and noticed that the people didn't put stock on the shelves(the stuff all around the store on the big orange carts), so after digging through all of the carts, I finally found a case of them(2) on the very last cart. I'm sure the employees are like, who the heck is this guy?, but if they aren't going to do their jobs, who is?
I still know some people that work there and they never give me any flack for going where I want to get what I need or to check for myself.

Matt

my friend that runs a fish store has one of those same thermometers that is actually broken and sitting on the bottom of the tank wich the system is running. nothing is wrong with his fish or anything so id say your good.

m0nk

Originally Posted by trippkid
Alex, I have some extra tubing, not much but you're more than welcome to it. I have some Jaco "T" fittings, you would just have to cap one of the ends off. I thought I had a coupler, but I couldn't find it.

Did you get all that you wanted today? What brand of RO/DI did you go with?
I sure am glad I used to work there. Today I went to get a Mag 18, didn't call first, never do and it usually bites me. I looked on the shelf and there weren't any there, so I got the other stuff I needed, and noticed that the people didn't put stock on the shelves(the stuff all around the store on the big orange carts), so after digging through all of the carts, I finally found a case of them(2) on the very last cart. I'm sure the employees are like, who the heck is this guy?, but if they aren't going to do their jobs, who is?
I still know some people that work there and they never give me any flack for going where I want to get what I need or to check for myself.

Matt
Thanks, I definitely appreciate the offer, though I went back and got longer tubing at Lowes. I feel like I'm there as much as TFP.

No, they didn't have everything I was aiming to get. They sold out of black 20L tank AND stands (for a new frag tank), so I'll need to go back in 2 weeks when they get the new shipment in. But it sounds like I should have waited until you went down, you might have found something.
Not a big deal, since I also have to wait until "youknowwhere.com" gets their Oddysea 30" MH units in stock again, too. I did get the RO/DI that I was after: Coralife Pure-Flo II. It's only 50 gpd, but it was under $150 and it's got the DI canister included. Plus, there was the coupon.

m0nk

Originally Posted by reddakotaon38s
my friend that runs a fish store has one of those same thermometers that is actually broken and sitting on the bottom of the tank wich the system is running. nothing is wrong with his fish or anything so id say your good.
That's great, too funny.

trippkid

Sounds great.
I forgot to see if the DI cartridges were off of backorder yet, the coralife brand. I bought a spectrapure one for like $10 more the last time I was there, I was kind of mad, the Kent ones are even more almost $20 more. I don't quite understand, I guess if I get more use out of the more expensive one it will be worth it, I kind of doubt it, we'll see I guess when I replace mine soon.
Matt

scsinet

Originally Posted by trippkid
Sounds great.
I forgot to see if the DI cartridges were off of backorder yet, the coralife brand. I bought a spectrapure one for like $10 more the last time I was there, I was kind of mad, the Kent ones are even more almost $20 more. I don't quite understand, I guess if I get more use out of the more expensive one it will be worth it, I kind of doubt it, we'll see I guess when I replace mine soon.
Matt
You know you can buy DI resin in bulk and just refill the canisters, right? WAY cheaper.
Google "Two Part Solution"

trippkid

Yes, thanks for reminding me, I guess I forgot about that website since they switched. I'll have to see if the spectrapure cartridge is refillable(not opened yet), and the coralife ones are not, to my knowledge
Thanks again, I'll check it out.

Matt

angler man

Originally Posted by m0nk
I haven't setup my new 29g QT yet, it's been sitting dry for a week, and I stupidly had attached one of those cheap thermometers (below). It apparently lost it's stick and fell 16 inches to shatter on the bottom. The tank is still empty, but all the little "pellets" that were in the bottom of the thing as weight are scattered across the tank and there is broken glass mixed in. The red stuff didn't come out that I could see (it appeared in tact inside the thermometer) which, I'm assuming, is colored mercury.
So my question: how bad is it? Will I be ok to just rinse out the tank really well and still use it, or is it now trash that needs replaced? Thanks.
Monk,
Those pellets are not lead, nor stainless. If you have a magnet, it will pull them right out.

stdreb27

not to highjack the thread, but how I'm a bit confused now. Are all red thermometers not mercury, I always thought mercury was only silver, and not red. Or can they make mercury red too.

scsinet

Originally Posted by stdreb27
not to highjack the thread, but how I'm a bit confused now. Are all red thermometers not mercury, I always thought mercury was only silver, and not red. Or can they make mercury red too.
That's what I was thinking... i'm pretty sure that most thermometers now are made with Alcohol. Mercury is such a horrid enviornmental nightmare that I think only lab thermomenters (with silver indicators as you said) are made with mercury.
I knew a guy who was one of the head guys at the wastewater treatment plant in Sheboygan, WI. He once told me that one fluorescent lamp has more mercury in it than their plant was allowed to discharge into the waterways in a year. When you think about the amount of water that goes through a treatment plant... and one lamp... dang.

pbienkiewi

Originally Posted by Angler man
Monk,
Those pellets are not lead, nor stainless. If you have a magnet, it will pull them right out.

The magnet will pick definatly pick them up. I did the same thing before and the magnet did the trick!

stdreb27

Originally Posted by SCSInet
That's what I was thinking... i'm pretty sure that most thermometers now are made with Alcohol. Mercury is such a horrid enviornmental nightmare that I think only lab thermomenters (with silver indicators as you said) are made with mercury.
I knew a guy who was one of the head guys at the wastewater treatment plant in Sheboygan, WI. He once told me that one fluorescent lamp has more mercury in it than their plant was allowed to discharge into the waterways in a year. When you think about the amount of water that goes through a treatment plant... and one lamp... dang.
And to think I used to break thermometers and play with the stuff. The only metal that was melted at room tempurature was to much of a temptation.
And to think it is "more environmentally friendly" to use pc bulbs instead of incandescents.