think I could sell my entire sw setup?

pontius

NOTE: this is not a "for sale" post, this is a "thinking of selling and need advice post"
it's tough to say, but I'm thinking about taking down my entire system and being done with it. since I've started with sw over 5 years ago, I now have a 3 yr old child and another one on the way. a wife that nags everytime I do a water change. etc etc etc. it's just not worth it anymore, what I get out of it has become less than what I put into is as far as time and energy.
so, I'm thinking of selling. but I want to know if it's even feasible to think I could sell it and get a decent price. here's what I've go.........
180 gallon All Glass w/ 2 overflows (paid $700 new)
custum built oak stand and canopy (over $1000)
300+ pounds of live rock (at least $1500-1800)
65 gallon tank in stand (skimmer, sump, fuge)
ASM G3 skimmer ($325)
plus: 30 gallon quarantine tank, sand, powercompact lights, powerheads/pumps/heaters/refractometer/test kits. pretty much EVERYTHING but the water and the fish. the whole setup is about 3 years old
by my calculation, I paid around $4700 for all this. I think I would want to get around $1700-$2000 for it. think I'd be able to get that if I put it on craigs list and sites that take bids?

meowzer

LOL..Do you deliver to Oklahoma????
Sorry to hear you are thinking of getting rid of it, BUT if you are truly not receiving any enjoyment then...ya gotta do what ya gotta do.....
MAN...If you lived closer.....
Like I need another tank

pontius

Originally Posted by meowzer
http:///forum/post/3039286
Sorry to hear you are thinking of getting rid of it, BUT if you are truly not receiving any enjoyment then...ya gotta do what ya gotta do.....
Like I need another tank

well, I'm 5 miles from Myrtle Beach and it's now summertime. A nice family vacation/aquarium pick-up isn't doable for you?

meowzer

Originally Posted by Pontius
http:///forum/post/3039287
well, I'm 5 miles from Myrtle Beach and it's now summertime. A nice family vacation/aquarium pick-up isn't doable for you?
LOL...What's a vacation??
IMHO..If you are truly asking $2000 for all of that.....I can not imagine you having a problem selling it...I paid more than that for my empty tank and lights alone...
Your set-up is beautiful too

mantisman51

Depends on the local market. A fellow with a 180 g reef tank (complete sump HQI and MH lighting, custom stand/canopy, etc) here in Tucson couldn't sell his outright for $1500. I bought some coral off him when he parted it out. But, I've seen posts here by people who bought similiar set ups fpr $2500-$3000 and thought they got a bargain. Throw it out there for $2000 firm(cause people will call and email non-stop about parting it out otherwise) and see what happens.

flower

You will never even get back half of what you paid out. used is used.
I have had tanks all my life. I had my children and got rid of my tank, moved and got rid of my tank and most recently divorced and got rid of my tank.
I always go and buy again.
My opinion...store the tank, stand, and lights. The pumps will be no use in a few years, nor the skimmer.
So sell everything else. The fish, the rock the pumps and skimmer etc...
I know that is you like fish you will be back. At the very least, keep your lights. They are the hardest to replace.

stdreb27

In my observations. I dunno. I almost never see large setups go like that. Unless you're just willing to sit on it. Basically fishing... Waiting for the right person.
I've seen people with a similar sized setup. But an SPS system. Post in the 1500 dollar range, and end up having to part it out. Because he just couldn't wait that long.
That being said. Shortly in the future. I'd definitely look for something like that.

reefraff

Originally Posted by meowzer
http:///forum/post/3039286
Like I need another tank

I have a really cool 105 for sale here in the Denver area which makes up practically neighbors

meowzer

Originally Posted by reefraff
http:///forum/post/3039494
I have a really cool 105 for sale here in the Denver area which makes up practically neighbors

LOL...Bring some lumber for the new room, the tank and stuff...I'll cook you some deer meat, and make you a margarita

soulsigma

+1 go with Flowers advice and use an auction site to rid yourself of the things which wont keep until you return back to the hobby, which you will and you'll be thankful that you did, plus it will make the wife feel guilty and ashamed every time she see your stuff in storage

BEST BET IS TOO:
My opinion...store the tank, stand, and lights. Sell on the auction site and you'll make a killing the pumps, skimmer, LR & LS, (testing equipment, salt , food etc.. )can be a package deal all of these items will be no use in a few years anyways.
So sell everything else. The fish, the rock the pumps and skimmer etc...
The hobby is addictive and after you have completed your Hyades, you'll return with fresh eyes and a clearer mind and new ideas. Its like working on the never ending project at work, that fried your brain
you will be back. At the very least, keep your tank, lights and stand. They are the hardest to replace.

spiderwoman

IMO your best bet is to part the whole thing and sell in pieces. One of our leading local reefers has parted his system down, started by selling corals, then other livestock and is now moving on to just about every single piece of dry goods and equipment. That's the way to sell everything, parted out. You get the best bang for your buck.

el guapo

Sorry to hear this man . I too have been weighing the break down and sale of my tank. I just don't have my heart in it anymore either .

pontius

Well, I put it on craig's list to see what the response and interest may be. If I decide to take it down, I will let it sit in my garage and rot before I'll be lowballed. around $1700 would be as good a deal as I'd do for anybody. $1700 would be a steal.
I like the fish and all. but I come home everyday, I'm drained. and my wife and child drain me further. and every week it's the same ritual.....spend 2 days waiting for 30 gallons of RO water to drip out, taking 30 gallons upstairs to mix, bringing 30 gallons downstairs to change. my hippo tang killed 2 cleaner shrimp (at $30 apiece) for no reason that I can think of.
I always thought when I got everything setup and going that I'd be spending time relaxing and watching the fish. and all I do is end up spending several hours a week working on it (and lots of money) and the only time I ever really even look at the fish is during feeding and in passing. few will argue against SW fish being prettier than FW fish. but the extra time/energy/money involved is not worth the extra prettiness imo. if I ever took it down and put it back up again, it would be for FW fish or either 1 large triggerfish that would be mostly maintenance free.

renogaw

Originally Posted by EL GUAPO
http:///forum/post/3039808
Sorry to hear this man . I too have been weighing the break down and sale of my tank. I just don't have my heart in it anymore either .

you'd need to have a heart for you to have your heart in it..
and i'll go against the grain here. You're not going to sell complete. you'll need to break it down just like everyone else who tries to sell complete. so don't waste your time...