think i made a mistake

rerun

well i think i made a really big mistake. three weeks ago my tank sprung a massive leak and i had to tear it down. i aquired a used tank from a buddy that had crushed coral in it so i left my sand in the old tank outside. i dont like the crushed coral and want to replace it with my sand. the sand has stayed wet from rain water but i dont know what i should do with it before i put it back in tank. thank you for any help.

rigdon87

Originally Posted by rerun
http:///forum/post/3159344
well i think i made a really big mistake. three weeks ago my tank sprung a massive leak and i had to tear it down. i aquired a used tank from a buddy that had crushed coral in it so i left my sand in the old tank outside. i dont like the crushed coral and want to replace it with my sand. the sand has stayed wet from rain water but i dont know what i should do with it before i put it back in tank. thank you for any help.
well your live sand is dead now if your going to add it to your tank your gonna want to rinse it out really really really good.is the tank up and running?

rerun

yes for 2.5 weeks now i have no problem tearing it back down. i didnt want to have a major issue again using the sand since it has been sitting for so long

rigdon87

Originally Posted by rerun
http:///forum/post/3159359
yes for 2.5 weeks now i have no problem tearing it back down. i didnt want to have a major issue again using the sand since it has been sitting for so long
well then its still cycling then right??

rerun

no its done i was able to save about 40 gallons of water and i had enough live rock (cant remember how many pounds) to stack it all the way to top of the tank. i have put all my corals and live stock back in. every thing is doing good i just hate the crushed coral

rigdon87

and you want to tear it all back down to put sand in it?...if its fine crush coral then you can add your old sand over the top of it SlOWLY and i mean slow.

rerun

its not fine. main thing i am worried about is having trouble getting it cycled again due to the fact that everything in the sand is now dead.

rigdon87

Well you can do it but you run the risk of messing up alot of things,but if your not happy with the crush coral and think you can do it succesfully then go for it i guess,not much i can say just be sure to rinse your Dead sand out real well

loopy101

how long has the tank been up and running that you have corals and live stock already? just trying to figure out how mature your tank is.

rerun

tank that i had to tear down was two years old i just transfered it to another tank but i used crushed coral instead of my sand
live stock
sailfin
anthias
pajama cardinal
mandarin dragonet
coral banded shrimp
pistol shrimp
corals
2 leathers
xenia colony
zoas
diff. types of mushrooms