Think its Dead?

bwilson

How do I know if this is dead or diying? It has looked like this for a full day and is not responding to food? Should I get rid of it?

THanks,
BW

bwilson

bump? Its still sitting with its mouth open? Should I take it out? I cant smell it as it is attached to a rock that I can not take out. I have a new picture if needed any thoughts?
BW

bang guy

It looks like it's starving. How much light do you have and what are you feeding/how often?
Also post your waterflow turnover rate.

bwilson

We have tried feeding brine, mystid, krill. We might have over fead as we had tried almost every other day. Our flow is somewhere over 2150gph.
Tank Info is as follows!
BASIC INFORMATION:
150gal Glass Tank
30gal Sump
20Gal Fuge (10lbs live rock, 4 ½ in sand bed)
Two T4’s for the return. 1225GPH - 3FT
Aqua C EV-200 (---- Used) with mag 12 pump
Arctica 1/3hp chiller with mag 7 pump.
800W Titanium Heater.
256lbs Live Cured Rock
160lbs Live Sand (about 3 inches)
Lights Hamilton Two VHOs and Three MH 14,000K 250wat.
Thanks,
BW

bang guy

Your setup seems ideal for a Carpet. I was initially thinking not enough light but you seem to have that covered.
How long have you had it and how old is the MH bulb above it?
Next I guess we need to know your water parameters.
Calcium
Alkalinity
Phosphate
Salinity
Temperature

pco1988

How old is the tank? Maybe it's too new. I would give it at least a year until trying a carpet.
-Philip

bwilson

Well my tank is pretty new not a year old I did start with 250lbs live rock cured and also all live sand but that might not help this. The tank has been up for just over a month. I never cycled. I test my Amm and Rite and Rate every day other day and nothing. My PH stays pretty constant now that I have my fuge up and its at 8.4. So the bulb is new. (Kinda makes me mad that the lfs would sell us a carpet this was the first item he sold me and he should give better advice as I have spent over 8k with him to date.)
Alk = 2.86 Tested yesterday
Ca = 550 (tested last week I will re test and post results)
Posphate = ??? I will go buy at test today.
Salt = 1.025
Tem from 79-81
Thanks,
BW

bang guy

You're not doing anything wrong. ALK is a bit unbalanced compared to Calcium but that's not going to kill an Anemone.
I will sy that Carpet Anemone are strictly for advanced reefkeepers. I see nothing that you're doing wrong but Carpet Anemone are pretty much the top of the advanced scale. I know a bit about keeping them but in my 26+ years of reefkeeping I've never felt the confidence to attempt one.

bwilson

Thanks for your imput. I will not attempt any more carpets if this one goes. Today he was looking a bit better at times I will just have to watch very close.
Thanks Again,
BW