think my tank is ready?

cartman101

Well a lfs just got a 7'' coral cat shark in. He said that my tank should be good, i'm getting lots of coralline algae and i know thats a good thing. So do u think i could pick it up this weekend? He will email me when its eating frozens, very nice and smart guy.

sharkguy22

I wouldnt reccomend coral cats. In my opinion bamboos are a better choice and a favroite of mine. I think this becuase corals will barely ever come out if you have caves youll just see them lay and lay and lay.. Very active at night though. Also corals are harder to get them to eat them bamboos.

cartman101

Originally Posted by sharkguy22
I wouldnt reccomend coral cats. In my opinion bamboos are a better choice and a favroite of mine. I think this becuase corals will barely ever come out if you have caves youll just see them lay and lay and lay.. Very active at night though. Also corals are harder to get them to eat them bamboos.
aslo corals r the only shark that i can keep in my tank, yes i know they are hard to start feeding, lfs is having probelms, they said they wont sell it to me untill its eating frozen

cartman101

Originally Posted by sharkguy22
Marble cat shark???????????? what is the size of your aquatic system??????
yes, thats it. Its a 125gal, 7in shark

cartman101

i'm thinking maybe just waiting on the shark till march, that way not rushing right into it, yes i have taken care of a shark before so i do have experience

aquapro_1

You do know they grow to 25in, right? 125G???? They eat shrimp, fish flesh, crabs and freshwater mollies.
If you wait until March, he'll be too big for your tank!!!

cartman101

Originally Posted by aquapro_1
You do know they grow to 25in, right? 125G???? They eat shrimp, fish flesh, crabs and freshwater mollies.
If you wait until March, he'll be too big for your tank!!!
they get them in all the time he said, and in 2 years the shark shouldn't reach full size. Plus i have herd they rarely ever get over 24in

tangey

i would think the coral cat shark would get to about 20 inche sor so give or take alittle. I know a guy that has one in a 240 for i think 3 or 4 years and its only about 15 inches or so.

mitzel

coral cats don't get big at all. bamboos get around 24 28 inches and corals stay under the two foot mark. just keep the tank on the cool side and feed them lightly and they won't get to big.

nmocean

I agree with Mitzel, catsharks just don't get that big, you will be fine to put it in a 125! They are not a cool water shark, Mitzel was referring to the fact that sharks will grow faster in warmer water, and if fed heavily.
I think you should go get your shark, and post pics for all of us to see!!
FWIW, in Scott Michael's book "Aquarium Sharks and Rays" he recommends a minimum tank size of 70 gallons for the coral catshark.
Best of Luck!!! :joy: -Jen

cartman101

so would you think i could get it? Its been up for 2.5 months. i added the sand and rocks and water from my old tank to the new tank, i added the rest with tap but i'm doing water changes with ro/di. so you think i can get it this weekend?

wrigley11

Any shark in a 125 is more then likely going to be dead in a year or so...
I don't really care what Scott's book states... it is a fact. Yes I know people have said that they have kept cat sharks in 125 for a couple years. Cat sharks are supposed to live 10 years+ in a tank.
No matter what we say you are going to buy the shark... it's just sad that it is going to be another dead animal in a year or so.
As to the fact that you stated you have kept sharks before... if you had the knowledge to keep a shark and the shop you were buying it from had any idea what they were doing, the words mysis shrimp, shark eating, & frozen food would never be put together. I would love to know how a 7in shark is supposed to survive on mysis shrimp...
As for coral cats in general... they make a very poor tank mate. They are not active during the day and are very aggressive at night. You are never going to see the shark being a shark... it's going to sit in a cave or under a rock all day and then when the lights go out, it will become active.

kdfrosty

A Marbled Cat Shark in a 125 is a bad idea, IMO. Sure, it will only get about 20-24" max, but that's still to big for a 125.

nmocean

I highly value the opinion of an author who has studied marine biology and done research projects on elasmobranch's, I don't think Scott Michael is out to lead everybody astray and mistreat their animals, that he obviously so deeply cares about.
With that said, I do think a good point was made about feeding the shark mysid shrimp. I would want to go see the shark eating and verify that the shark was eating proper foods, such as silversides or bite size pieces of (larger) shrimp. It is important to soak all foods in vitamins to maintain health.
I think in a well maintained system, with the proper foods, this type of catshark would do very well in a 125.
Wishing you the best of luck Cartman!!
-Jen