Thinking about a 20gal reef. Thoughts?

section143

This is my 20 gallon frag grow out tank. I have a hang on back refugium and 1 kor nano wavemaker on it. The light is a 96 watt t5 fixture and I have no problem keeping any kind of coral under it. Just giving you my equipment list if you wanted to go that route.

Would you guys recommend one more fish for the tank? It seems to me that I could get another in there. I was thinking somewhere along the lines of a baingaii cardinal(sp?), royal gramma, maybe a firefish?

section143

what fish did you decide to stock the tank with to start? I saw your wish list but i didnt notice if you posted a final decision

I was thinking about starting with the clowns first to condition the water but now I'm thinking that I may have acclimation problems with the goby and/or inverts in the future. However, I don't want to go the damsel route because damsels are nasty, but I don't know if I have any other options. As far as the starting stock, I'm a little unsure.

Oh yeah, I get that, but isn't it nice to have some hardy fish in the beginning to get the ammonia levels up a little (for the time being) and for bacteria to acclimate? As I've been told and read, just live rock doesn't completely cover the cycling process.

On another note, I ordered my tank last week (they were out of the dimensions I wanted at the LFS), so it should be arriving soon. As for the actual cycling time with the live rock and everything: I did a month for my established, 2 1/2 year old FOWLR. What would be appropriate length for this one? Same amount?

meowzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by flameangel26 http:///forum/thread/379738/thinking-about-a-20gal-reef-thoughts/20#post_3306552
Oh yeah, I get that, but isn't it nice to have some hardy fish in the beginning to get the ammonia levels up a little HECK NO......WHY on earth would you want to torture a fish......ammonia is toxic to it and causes harm and even death to fish(for the time being) and for bacteria to acclimate? As I've been told and read, just live rock doesn't completely cover the cycling process.

On another note, I ordered my tank last week (they were out of the dimensions I wanted at the LFS), so it should be arriving soon. As for the actual cycling time with the live rock and everything: I did a month for my established, 2 1/2 year old FOWLR. What would be appropriate length for this one? Same amount?
Cycle your tank with NO FISH.......throw a raw shrimp in there.....let your levels rise and go down the natural way

Alright then. I'm sorry about the ammonia, I didn't mean to say that haha.
Anyway, what would you guys say to possibly a blue reef chromis, maybe two?

section143

They are pretty hardy fish but in my opinion they are happiest in groups... I would suggest to stick with your original clown pair and do a blenny, pseudochromis, or goby of some sort. There are so many species to pick from those last three im sure you'd find something good.