thinking about adding ocean substrate... advice?

hallzy

I am currently in the outer banks, nc on my hunnymoon and I am thinking about getting some substrate out of the ocean to use in my 29 gallon at home! The stuff I'm thinking of using is kind of hard to explain, but I'm sure someone will understand what I'm talking about. Lol Its kind of like crushed up shell/rock that you can find right where the waves are breaking on the shore. I think it would look really cool, but I want to be sure it would be ok to use and not harmful to my tank.
Also, I got a bucket full of this stuff, and as I was transfering it to a styrofoam cooler, I noticed a TON of those little sand digger crabs (not sure exactly what these things are called, but once again I'm sure someone will know what I'm talkin about haha) and I am wondering the best way to get these guys out, or if it would maybe even be a good thing to add a few of these guys to my tank? I have a 12 hour drive home but if they survived a night outside in a bucket, then I'm sure they would survive my trip home. Haha
Anyways, any advice you can give me would be appriciated! Thanks!

scott t

It is not a good Idea to add anything to a tank that you get from the ocean, especially from the beach area.. You do not know what harmful waste maybe in it, what parasites maybe there. As for the crabs you dont know what kind they are and you may get them home and get them in the tank and they eat all of your fish. It would not be advisable to bring that stuff home and use it in your tank as it just my be the undoing of your tank.

gemmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott T http:///forum/thread/381603/thinking-about-adding-ocean-substrate-advice#post_3324867
It is not a good Idea to add anything to a tank that you get from the ocean, especially from the beach area.. You do not know what harmful waste maybe in it, what parasites maybe there. As for the crabs you dont know what kind they are and you may get them home and get them in the tank and they eat all of your fish. It would not be advisable to bring that stuff home and use it in your tank as it just my be the undoing of your tank.
+1

ialex2005i

I got my sand/substrate from the ocean. My tank has been doing well. I also got my rock from the ocean, I did get some hitchikers from the rock, but we're talking about substrate so I doubt much can hide in the substrate if you sift through it.

hallzy

I just thought I would let you know that I added this substrate back in october and my tank is doing quite well. Ive even started with coral since then and it is all doing well. I understand what you are all saying about not being sure of what kind of wastes may be in it, but i didn't get sand right off the beach, I got it actually out of the ocean, and I sifted thru and took out all the sand fiddler crabs, and then boiled all the substrate before I added it. I would take a picture of it right now to show you all how it looks, but I need to do a water change and sift through it first, cause I want to show you while its all very clean! lol So I will most likely be doing a water change tonight, time permitting, and I will get a picture up ASAP! I think it looks really sharp though! And its much easier to keep clean then sand IMO.