Thinking of Ditching the Sandbed..

cowfishrule

Yep.
Really. My sand bed is maybe 1". All i've noticed it doing is padding the rocks, and annoying the ---- out of my corals. I was thinking of removing it (in stages, of course).
I do a 1-gal w/c ever 2-3 days. My thought was to lose the sandbed and increase my flow, thus not worrying about a sandstorm.
---- on the bottom of the tank would be shot around by the increased flow, so im not worried about that.
Quick concerns. How do you place the rockwork on the bottom of the tank if there is no sand? Is it ok for the rocks to be on the bottom of the tank with nothing padding them? They are currently stable and stacked so they cannot fall.

cowfishrule

i was hoping to remove the sand without taking the rock out.
my plan was to syphon some out with each water change until its gone. i'll figure something out.

I was curious about adding crushed coral on top of the sand bed, would that work? That would keep the sand from flying everywhere right, but are there any pittfalls to doing this?

alix2.0

reminds me of last thanksgiving when someone asked if they could give their fish some turkey.

post pics when its done, cfr. i think bare bottom tanks are cool, but i dont have the you know whats to try it. i bet youll get better parameters with the increased flow, since youll get less gunk trapped, and 1" of sand isnt really gonna help denitrify anyways.