Thinking of getting a mantis.

matt b

He will go in a 29 glass frag tank thats been setup for a few months with no sand but alot of LR. I want something 100% reef safe and colorful and wont break the glass
He will be with a orange back wrasse but I will get rid of him if I get the mantis. So what kind of care do they need? What would be a good type thats not to needy?

jawdubb

From what I have read on other sites you can not host more than one in a tank as they're aggressive even to other mantises. The recommended mantis for a tank your size would be a peacock, they are hardy, and can live well in a 29 gallon tank. They are my favorite so far, although I haven't bought mine yet. I have my 36 gallon bowfront tank setup for one, but I am making sure nothing goes wrong. One more month and the tank will be up and stable for 6 months with loads of rubble and a 4 in sandbed. I guess it also depends on whether you want a spearer or a smasher. With the peacock (smasher) your wrasse may well survive with it, but with a spearer the wrasse is a gonner for sure.

matt b

Originally Posted by jawdubb
http:///forum/post/2608910
From what I have read on other sites you can not host more than one in a tank as they're aggressive even to other mantises. The recommended mantis for a tank your size would be a peacock, they are hardy, and can live well in a 29 gallon tank. They are my favorite so far, although I haven't bought mine yet. I have my 36 gallon bowfront tank setup for one, but I am making sure nothing goes wrong. One more month and the tank will be up and stable for 6 months with loads of rubble and a 4 in sandbed. I guess it also depends on whether you want a spearer or a smasher. With the peacock (smasher) your wrasse may well survive with it, but with a spearer the wrasse is a gonner for sure.

Do you NEED a sand bed for them?

jawdubb

They do burrow, but I have known people that have made pvc tunnels for theirs. I am using a sand bed because of the fact they love to burrow so much and will constantly rearange their home. I am also using a sandbed because mantises are messy eaters and I want the micro-organisms in the sand bed that can and will clean up after it.

S

sexyshrimp101

Sorry, I just got my message and came to this thread, (it's been a busy past few days). You could do a Peacock Mantis (O. Scyllarus) in the 29 gal., that is the minimum. You can only keep one per tank, they are very territorial creatures. The only way you could have two is if you had a mated pair, and that is next to impossible. If I am correct, I believe Dr. Roy has only successfully done this once.
You would definitely need a sand bed, and a pretty good depth at that. They use the rocks for their home, but they use the sand to burrow. The rocks are more or less top cover and some side cover, they they mainly burrow. Jawdubb was right about being able to use pvc piping, but you can only use pvc piping with a sand bed. They are like premanufactured homes for the mantis. I personally think that the mantis should work to build there home without pvc, plus it helps to simulate a natural habitat as well.
As far as the wrasse goes, as long as it is a top dweller, then it may have a pretty good shot at survival. Any bottom dwellers, have a severely lowered survival rate. This only goes for smashers though, which a Peacock is. As Jawdubb said, no fish would survive with a spearer, but you don't have to worry about that.