This is the Start of my Tank (This is what I have so Far)

scott t

Well Meowzer its going to be about 4 to 6 weeks before I can get it set up, I need to get a stand built and other stuff like the Sump stuff, you know it takes time lol.. Trust me Ya'll will be the first to know about all the stuff I am getting ( with pictures of Course). I have to share it all with the most helpful bunch of people there is.. Ya'll have been so helpful and great I want to share my experience will all of you because I feel with all the help that I have gotten here that it is only right that ya'll be with me and see every step of the way..

(Oh and I think I read in a post once that if there are not pictures it didnt happen or you dont have it. It was something like that LOL
)

meowzer

I didn't realize you were building a stand for it too....and YES...we love pics

Where in NY are you from?

scott t

I live Upstate NY Near Rochester NY in the Finger Lakes Region. Like you, I will have to do most of My Ordering Online as there are only 2 stores in the Area close to me that have SWF and one is Deathco and the other is a Co-op/Pet store and I would not by any fish from either of them and the Co-op store charges $9.99 for their Live rock. The Live Rock is Crappy looking too I would not put it in my tank. LOL. I am excited though with starting the tank and building the stand. I think Building a stand is going to be a much better choice than buying on that is already made.. A built stand will be much more durable for the tank, I think.

2quills

Good luck with the build.

Deffinately, we like updates and pics.
What kind of lights did you get?

scott t

I got the Nova Extreme 8 light Fixture with lunar lights 432 Watts for the tank.. I know that some has told me not to get it but I wanted the lunar lights also. I plan on changing the bulbs out to APIs at some point because i have head the current bulb stink.

yannifish

I hope you have the best of luck with your tank!
Have you ever kept fish before?
What kinds of fish are you planning on keeping in this tank?

2quills

Originally Posted by Scott T
http:///forum/post/3285956
I got the Nova Extreme 8 light Fixture with lunar lights 432 Watts for the tank.. I know that some has told me not to get it but I wanted the lunar lights also. I plan on changing the bulbs out to APIs at some point because i have head the current bulb stink.
Yeah I hear great things about the ATI bulbs...I will be getting those as well when I do my new set up. I think your fixture will work just fine...should be more than plenty to do what ever you want to do.

scott t

I have been working on what I would like to have in it if you want I can post some of the things I am thinking about.
FISH
2 X Ocellaris (1 Regular and 1 Black and White if this would be ok to put them together)
1 X Sixline Wrasse
2 X FireFish
2 X Purple Firefish
1 X Royal Gramma Basslet
1 X Bi-Colored Blenny
1 X Goby (not sure what kind yet any suggestions are welcome)
1 X Scott’s Fairy Wrasse
These are the fish I am thinking about.. I would love to have a Tang but I know that my tank would be to small for one so I guess it is out of the question...
If anyone has any suggestions on fish let me know. Also, if you have suggestions on a CC and how many of each that would be great!!!

meowzer

I just posted this in your other thread
That's 11 fish for a 55g, may be a bit much
In my 54G I have a 6line wrasse, 1 clown, 2 yellow clown gobies, 1 flame hawk, a longfin sleeper goby.....and I am VERY hesitant about adding another....
see what opinions others give...I am no expert, just careful

scott t

BTLD Reef thanks you have been a a Great help to me by answering a lot of my Questions. You and everyone else here has eased a lot of my worries about setting up a SWF tank.
Yannifish, I have had FW tanks in the past from 5 gal up to 55 gals. I have also helped my aunt with a SWF tank before. I also worked in a pet store for about a year when there was one local where I live. I have also been doing a lot of Research on SWF tanks since I stated coming here about a year ago.
Thanks 2Quills I have researched and I think that the light will be fine on the tanks and with switching the bulbs..

scott t

Meowzer I was not planning on putting all those fish in the one tank lol. That is just the fish I am looking at, not sure what ones i am going to go with yet, that list is not set in stone. There are just the fish that I like so far, I am sure that i will be cutting that list down to a select few...

yannifish

http:///forum/post/3285964
I have been working on what I would like to have in it if you want I can post some of the things I am thinking about.
FISH
2 X Ocellaris (1 Regular and 1 Black and White if this would be ok to put them together)
1 X Sixline Wrasse
2 X FireFish
2 X Purple Firefish
1 X Royal Gramma Basslet
1 X Bi-Colored Blenny
1 X Goby (not sure what kind yet any suggestions are welcome)
1 X Scott’s Fairy Wrasse
These are the fish I am thinking about.. I would love to have a Tang but I know that my tank would be to small for one so I guess it is out of the question...
If anyone has any suggestions on fish let me know. Also, if you have suggestions on a CC and how many of each that would be great!!!
Okay, that is too many fish for a 55 gallon. I would recomend picking just one kind of firefish, and not getting the fairy wrasse. If I remember correctly (someone please correct me of I am wrong) they like to be kept in groups, and a 55 gallon just doesn't provide the room plus the others.
I'd maybe consider this:
2x Ocellaris Clowns (and black and orange can work just fine together, just get them as babies)
2x Firefish (normal or purple)
1x Royal Gramma
1x Bicolor Blenny
A smaller goby would probably be fine in there as well.
For a clean up crew, I'd avoid hermit crabs (they will prey on snails). I personally have had good luck with Trochus snails, as they can flip themselves over if on their shell, Nassarius Snail, and Cerith Snails. And maybe a pair of cleaner shrimp, if you like them. That would work quite nicely.

yannifish

http:///forum/post/3285968
BTLD Reef thanks you have been a a Great help to me by answering a lot of my Questions. You and everyone else here has eased a lot of my worries about setting up a SWF tank.
Yannifish, I have had FW tanks in the past from 5 gal up to 55 gals. I have also helped my aunt with a SWF tank before. I also worked in a pet store for about a year when there was one local where I live. I have also been doing a lot of Research on SWF tanks since I stated coming here about a year ago.
Thanks 2Quills I have researched and I think that the light will be fine on the tanks and with switching the bulbs..
Then you aren't new to the hobby. That's good. You'll be more prepared for unexpected surprises.

http:///forum/post/3285972
Meowzer I was not planning on putting all those fish in the one tank lol. That is just the fish I am looking at, not sure what ones i am going to go with yet, that list is not set in stone. There are just the fish that I like so far, I am sure that i will be cutting that list down to a select few...
Ah, that makes more sense.

meowzer

http:///forum/post/3285972
glad to see you are checking things out.....LOL...I always ask first too...made too many DUMB mistakes in the beginning....costly too :(

yannifish

Originally Posted by meowzer
http:///forum/post/3285979
glad to see you are checking things out.....LOL...I always ask first too...made too many DUMB mistakes in the beginning....costly too :(
I think we all have. I certainly have.
Luckily I haven't made any mistakes that have hurt live critters, just ones that have hurt my wallet.

scott t

Yeah I have been thinking about this for a Year and decided to take the Plunge so to say.. I have been reading and researching and asking questions on here so I know what I am doing, because there is a lot to know. I dont want to go into this blind and make lots of mistakes. I know that there are going to be Mistakes made by me but I will be better able to deal with them since I have done my research and have people who are knowledgeable to ask questions.