This RO any good?

i<3fish

I have been looking into the Tap Water Filter. For the price, and what it says... I dont think I can pass it up! Ayone used it before?

degbowl

I purchased one and I haven't used it yet. I purchased a RO DI system on ---- so now I want to sell the tap water filter. It is just a DI filter. If you are in the NY area I would sell you mine for $20. I haven't even opened the box yet. It looks like the filter would be good, but I wanted to go for something better. I am setting up FOWLR tank in a couple of weeks.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
No links to competitors, please. Just post the name of the skimmer, or direct link to the manufacture, a picture, etc.

i<3fish

Sorry beth. I will get the name up. degbowl, why havent you used it? Do you think it is worth it or no? Plus mine is a FOWRL, so I dont need to have 100% the purest water.

scsinet

Originally Posted by acrylic51
IMO waste of money....Save your cash and get a real RO/DI unit
Absolutely. Water quality is the foundation of a successful aquarium. Why skimp here? In this hobby, you can be thrifty, but not stingy.
Buy a 4 stage unit. Carbon, Sediment, RO, and DI.
Oh, and even though it's FO, you still need pure water. If any chlorine were to get into your system, you'd start to lose your bacterial colony, which could lead to a tank crash...
Plus, with LR, you can't have any metals, like disolved copper, lead, etc getting in. It will kill the life on your rock, which is probably worth a heck of a lot more than a good RO unit would have cost you in the first place.

acrylic51

It's not really about how many stages the unit has....You have to check what the rejection rate is on the membrane and the quality of the membranes being used in the units itself

scsinet

Originally Posted by acrylic51
It's not really about how many stages the unit has....You have to check what the rejection rate is on the membrane and the quality of the membranes being used in the units itself
This is true about the membrane, but the unit actually has to have an RO membrane in order to have any of these ratings. I didn't see an RO membrane at all in the pictures.
The number of stages don't matter, but the stages themselves do, and 4 stage units generally have the required stages required for good quality water.
If you don't have a sediment prefilter, your RO membrane will fail prematurely as it will get clogged very quickly.
If you don't have the carbon filter, you don't remove chlorine, etc. The RO membrane might, but it's far cheaper to replace the carbon filter more frequently than the RO membrane.
If all it is is a DI filter (which is what it looks like from the picture), you'll be replacing filters all the time.
Fish, to answer your question, there are as many choices out there as you can handle. I prefer the Kent Maxxima units. The Hi-S (High Silicate) models are my favorite becuase they can help reduce diatom blooms in new setups. They are surely not the cheapest, but are definitely one of the lower priced units. I'd find a supplier online, choose a model based on the pricing scale, then shop around for it. There is also that famous online auction site...

uberlink

The tapwater filter you're talking about works just fine. It's a true DI filter, and there is nothing wrong with the quality of the water it produces. The problem is that it's actually expensive in the long run, because you have to buy a new filter about every 50-75 gallons, because it's only DI, not RO. The multistage filters you can get for $100+ are both RO and DI, and the RO filters out 98% of the particles, leaving the DI part to catch only the last bits. As a result, the filters are good for hundreds of gallons, and they're much cheaper over the long haul. Get the tapwater filter if you're really short on cash and need something now, but if buy a proper RO/DI unit if you want to save in the long term.

acrylic51

Your still better off get a real unit.....You'll see the filter doesn't last a good time and replacement isn't cheap and within a year your even less you'll have spent more money on filter replacements than buying a RO/DI unit......My friend went through the same deal couldn't see parting with his cash, but about 8 months down the road he finally saw the "light"

acrylic51

I should add that the filter systems you get on ----, you need to check out what type of membranes are used in the unit, and after you go above 75gpd membranes your rejection rate isn't 98%, it drops down to around 90-93%. That is common though

degbowl

Originally Posted by I<3Fish
Sorry beth. I will get the name up. degbowl, why havent you used it? Do you think it is worth it or no? Plus mine is a FOWRL, so I dont need to have 100% the purest water.
I thought that this filter would be good enough, but the more research I do, the more I see that I needed an RO DI system. I haven't opened it yet. I will either try to resell it or keep it as a back up. If I were you I would get the better filter.

watertite

Bought one of the Dionizers at ***** and low and behold surfing the web I found a nice touch there are company's that actully make Real Ocean Water for aquariums and phosphate free and Ph balanced at 8.3 My prayers were answered. So I have changing out the water at 10 Gals. at a time and 3 more times and my 55 tank will be done and I will do maintenace about every 2 weeks. You should see my problem bottom algae is gone and the fish seem happier. My Diatom filter arrives pretty soon and I can't wait to use that.