This was just too bizarre!!

gliderjohn

I had a new royal dottyback just finishing it's 1st week in QT. QT is 10 gal. with a heater, small hob filter, and a few pieces of PVC. It has a lid on it, but not a tight fitting lid. I didn't think this would be a problem since I didn't read anything about the dottyback being a jumper.
Early Friday evening I fed it and all was fine. Healthy, happy and doing well. I came back down (QT is in the basement) about an hour later to do a water change and....NO FISH!!!
I looked everywhere! I took out all the PVC - no fish. I began to look around the outside of the tank and on the floor - still NO FISH! I called my wife down to join in the search and rescue, couldn't find him at all.
I removed the heater and examinined it. I checked the inside of the HOB and removed it to examine around it. Still nothing.
With nothing in the tank but water, there was no fish! And still nothing on the floor! Totally confused, feeling bad for the fish, and questioning my husbandry practices, I put everything back in the tank and completed the water change.
Yesterday morning I went down to the basement to prepare for a water change in my DT, just happened to look into the QT, and guess who was looking back at me!!
Yup. It was him! He was back. Still healthy, happy and waiting for his breakfast!!!
Thrilled? Yes! Relieved? Yes. Happy for my fish? Yes. But I am totally baffled. There was absolutely no place in the tank that he could have been hiding. I took it down to just the tank and water. Both my wife and I carefully checked everything we took out of the tank.
This morning he's still doing fine, just like nothing ever happened.
I just wish I could figure this one out.
This was so weird, I just had to share.

davmul

Weird.... I was gone all day Saturday and returned home to find that the power had obviously gone out due to a large thunderstorm. I go to check out the tank and my purple firefish is missing. I spend the next several hours examing the tank and surroundings for a trace of the fish. I suspect that she is dead but there is absoultely no evidence!
Come down on Sunday morning and there she is, looking at me like nothing happened. Now i read that you had a very simmilar experience just a few miles away. Alien abduction? Time Travelling Fishes?

gliderjohn

Originally Posted by davmul
http:///forum/post/2648704
Weird.... I was gone all day Saturday and returned home to find that the power had obviously gone out due to a large thunderstorm. I go to check out the tank and my purple firefish is missing. I spend the next several hours examing the tank and surroundings for a trace of the fish. I suspect that she is dead but there is absoultely no evidence!
Come down on Sunday morning and there she is, looking at me like nothing happened. Now i read that you had a very simmilar experience just a few miles away. Alien abduction? Time Travelling Fishes?

Wow...that is too weird!

teresaq

I have had them hide in whole so far in you cant see any thing. I had a bi-color blenny hide out in a piece of rock, sitting on the floor - i was rearranging things in the tank-. It decided to come out of its whole and I stepped on it. Not hard, but still-- I picked it up and put it back into the tank and it was fine. weird

sepulatian

That is very odd. I could see if you had rock and sand in there, but with just the PVC there is nowhere to hide. Did you look in the filter? Sometimes fish can jump up into the overflow. I am glad that he is alright.

gliderjohn

Yes. I took the filter apart and examined it closely (well, at least I thought I examined it closely), but saw nothing. He is still doing wonderful. No sign of any problems. Color is great, very active and good appetite.

j-ville

We humans are so stuck on ourselves to believe that we are the only ones who space aliens want to abduct and experiment on. If I were you I would keep an eye on that dotty's back. lol.