Thomas What are your thoughts on Pier 701??

billy61

Being a fellow Midlander I thought you might know about the LFS and how they run their operations..
Anything I should know about?
Is this where you get your stuff?
Sorry about posting this here but it wouldn't let me mail you..
Tommy

T

thomas712

Well Kurt is a bright fellow, and I compare knowledge with him when he is around.
As to the quality of his livestock its not bad, gets alot of his stuff from Lansing area or Detroit.
I'm more than happy to trust his corals but very seldom purchase any but a few small frags now and again.
I just can't cope with his prices, he is as he puts it a poor trader. Giving you half the value of something in trade.
I purchase fish, corals and a few dry goods from this site and have yet to be dissappointed, I find it better risk even than just getting supplies at 701. I still purchase some dry goods and such from them.
Take for instance the price of a MJ 1200 powerhead at 701, I believe he wants $42or$43 dollars, I can buy it on line for half the price. If you buy the 1 gallon jugs of alkalinity and calcium from 701 its what $50-$52 dollars for both jugs? I can get it for half that price as well online.
Anything else?
Thomas

billy61

Thank yor for the insight. I have noticed that their prices were rather high when I saw that they were selling a Flame Angel for $75, when anywhere else its rarely $60.
I have thought about getting coral and fish from this site but don't really trust it. I do read about a lot of people that have no problem with it but I like to see what I am buying first. Also, don't you have to pick up the livestock from a fed ex station..? (to be guaranteed) If so where do you do this?
I am not from the area, I just go to school here.
I guess I am just scared to have to spend $80 and get a bunch of mediocre stuff that was misrepresented or something of that nature.
Thanks
Tommy

T

thomas712

What is it you would like to do with this tank. Past posts say you have a 55 gallon?. Fish only, Fowler, Reef? What did you want to try?
Thomas
Also just curious but how did you learn about this site?

billy61

I have a 55 gal. with about 40lbs of LR and i just switched my substrate from CC to sand. (agronite sp?)
I have a small Sailfin and a GSMaroon.
I have a few corals such as frogspawn, star P., Moon Rock, Kenya Tree, and some Mushrooms, oh and a Brain and a leather .
I would like to add a lot more stuff such as Zoo's , which I can never find, and other things that would give the tank some diversity and color.
But can't seem to find a location to where this is possible. Sometimes I go to Oceans and Seas when i am at home and they have decent prices but nothing really that I want.
I found this website when searching for "Aquarium Stuff"
Tommy

billy61

Another thing ...Where do you have your stuff sent to when you order from this site?
Do you get it gauranteed or not?
Thanks

T

thomas712

I have it sent straight to my house. I believe that there is still some type of 7 day deal if you can send the fish right back, I've never had to use it. Same risk when ever you purchase anything that is alive, sometimes you win and sometimes you loose. I don't know any pet store in our area that guarentees SW fish. I would also never purchase a fish at ***** unless I had a hospital tank setup.
Thomas