Thoughts on a Yellow Tang in a 46 Bowed

jeff903

Hi,
I currently have 2 tank raised clowns, an anemone, a choc chip starfish, and now a yellow tang in my 46 gallon bowed tank. I was unsure of the tang because of what I've learned about them in smaller tanks from this message board but because of the fact that I only have the 2 small clowns I figured there would be plenty of swimming room. Also, I only have a 20 watt power-glo and my anemone is getting bigger and doesn't seem to be dying or anything and I've had it for about 3 weeks. And also, I am planning to definitely get a flame angel. Will the angel and the tang fight or anything because of the room, or lack of? Also, I have about 60 lbs lr which does take up some room. Thanks for any thoughts. Jeff

npaladen

Hi,
I have a yellow tang, a blue tang, and a bi-color angel in my 50 gal reef. Mine all get along just fine except that every now and then the blue tang will give a half-hearted chase of the angel. My yellow and the angel get along great, I would just suggest having a few places that the angel can fit into that the tangs cannot if you want to be sure. That way it will have its own refuge. I would also suggest to get them both small, all of my fish I got when they were juveniles and they have grown up together and have been good buddies ever since they got the pecking order straight way back when.

Hey Jeff903...I would seriously watch the choco. star with the anemone...those things will chomp on anything they get their little paws on!!! :eek:

set-man

The 20 watt light is not enough to allow the anemone to survive. It takes them a few months to die without sufficient light. Like others have said, don't let the starfish get close to the anemone because it will be destroyed.