Thoughts on wave makers

carlos413

I was thinking of getting a wave maker for my 55 gallon reef tank. I am posting this to get some feed back on what you fellow reefers think. I was thinking of getting the, Red Sea Wavemaster Pro Wave Maker. Id relly like to here if anyone has this particular unit or other they like better. As always Thank you SWF!

acrylic51

I would advise against either of the Red Sea Wavemaster.....You have bulky PH's in a tank that don't take the on/off that they are put through. If your looking for a true wavemaker look at the Tunze nano or full size or you could do something with Tunze PH's and multicontroller, or the VorTech. Korillas is another possible one with their controller even though I haven't used theirs.

carlos413

Originally Posted by acrylic51
http:///forum/post/3268782
I would advise against either of the Red Sea Wavemaster.....You have bulky PH's in a tank that don't take the on/off that they are put through. If your looking for a true wavemaker look at the Tunze nano or full size or you could do something with Tunze PH's and multicontroller, or the VorTech. Korillas is another possible one with their controller even though I haven't used theirs.
I have two Korillas #2's one in the center of the tank one on the left side, I also have #4 on the right side. So are you saying that the Red Sea Wavemaster's are not good even if your useing Korillas PH'S?

acrylic51

The Wavemaster is nothing more than a simple controller....you still have to provide the PH's to hook to it, and for the money and the PH's won't hold up to the constant on/off. They aren't designed for that hard start and stop IMHO, they just don't hold up.....If you already have the Korillas I would look at their controller to make them your wave machine.....I've used the RedSea setup years ago, and wouldn't even consider it with the modern efficient stuff on the market today......

carlos413

Originally Posted by acrylic51
http:///forum/post/3268805
The Wavemaster is nothing more than a simple controller....you still have to provide the PH's to hook to it, and for the money and the PH's won't hold up to the constant on/off. They aren't designed for that hard start and stop IMHO, they just don't hold up.....If you already have the Korillas I would look at their controller to make them your wave machine.....I've used the RedSea setup years ago, and wouldn't even consider it with the modern efficient stuff on the market today......
Thanks.

nycbob

i hv the redsea wavemaker with the koralia evolutions. i dont like it too much. in fact, i am probably going to get the vortech or the controllable tunze nanostream. the vortech mp 20 or 40 along with a regulat powerhead in ur 55 should provide plenty of flow and movement inside ur tank.

btldreef

Originally Posted by nycbob
http:///forum/post/3268922
i hv the redsea wavemaker with the koralia evolutions. i dont like it too much. in fact, i am probably going to get the vortech or the controllable tunze nanostream. the vortech mp 20 or 40 along with a regulat powerhead in ur 55 should provide plenty of flow and movement inside ur tank.
+1
I own the Vortech MP40W and LOVE IT!
Before we upgraded to this we had the Red Sea Wavemaker with Koralias. It killed three out of 4 PH's from the constant on and off use. The magnets for the propeller usually let go after a few months of use. My 4 powerhead's all went dead in less than 6 months. It also didn't do anything beneficial for the coral and the fish hated it, no matter how we set it up. Save your money and get the Tunze or Vortech.

acrylic51

Originally Posted by BTLDreef
http:///forum/post/3268950
+1
Before we upgraded to this we had the Red Sea Wavemaker with Koralias. It killed three out of 4 PH's from the constant on and off use. The magnets for the propeller usually let go after a few months of use. My 4 powerhead's all went dead in less than 6 months.
Agree that's what I've seen they just don't take the on/off where as the VorTech and Tunze's are designed totally different and will handle that situation.