Time for a few pics

teresaq

Dont mind the air algea, I'm working in it. And I didnt clean the inside of the glass lol
left side

middle

right side

red algea

teresaq

its a feather calupa - you have to be careful with it. it can go sexual and release nastie into your tank. I keep it proned and watch it.

flower

So bright and colorful, I love how you did the macoalgae in there and the sea pens, with the happy little horses. SIGH...I'm just not that brave to keep sea horses, but I love them.

novahobbies

That's red Gracillaria, right? how's it growing for ya?
The tank looks beautiful, and the herd looks very happy. I see no air algae, though...

flower

For a chiller Google Ice probe Filter, (you may need 2) It looks like it will work good and not cost an entire arm. Novahobbies uses one...it will be a piece of equipment I intend to use.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeresaQ http:///forum/thread/379537/time-for-a-few-pics#post_3346977
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower http:///forum/thread/379537/time-for-a-few-pics#post_3346975

For a chiller Google Ice probe Filter
, (you may need 2) It looks like it will work good and not cost an entire arm. Novahobbies uses one...it will be a piece of equipment I intend to use.
Is this for me???? I have a chiller on this tank.

No there was a post by another person...It didn't post the quote..AGAIN...lovesbarbie I think was the name. Those nice chillers like what you have run like $500.00 or more and the little ice probe is much cheaper at around $100.00

novahobbies

I don't know who deleted their post, but a word of warning: Only get the ice probe if you're sure you just need ONE. If you need two, you are probably better off spending just a few Jacksons more and getting a 1/13HP AquaEuro chiller.
Don't get me wrong, I LIKE my IceProbe. It was especially efficient when I was running the 130w PC fixture. Now that I have the MH's, I'm seriously thinking about getting a chiller...I have my eye on craigslist for somebody's old one if possible. 1 Ice Probe plus 2 cooling fans only keeps me at 75 during the peak of the day, and I would much prefer to stay at a constant 72.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeresaQ http:///forum/thread/379537/time-for-a-few-pics#post_3347013
oh, ok, no problem, just wondering. hum wonder why they deleted thier post

Nobody deleted their post..it never showed up when I posted it with a quote, half the time my posts won't post until the 3rd try..It's driving me crazy.
Nova..The only reason I mentioned two was because of the ad I read...my little 30g tank won't need more than the ice probe MAYBE come summer time. Right now without a heater (will be in the sump later) my tank goes from 71 to 75...I figured if I put it at 75 it will be consistent. Erectus needs between 72 and 77 according to my research...I hope that's correct.

novahobbies

That is correct, but...... a tank in the lower range has some benefits. If you can keep your tank at 72, you will have slightly decreased algae growth, and more importantly you may have less issues with disease. The spectre in any seahorse tank is the threat of bacterial pathogens like Vibriosis..... this is a catch all term for diseases caused by the bacteria in the genus Vibrio. Many ulcerative diseases can trace their causes to Vibrio bacteria, such as snout rot, tail rot, and other skin lesions. Vibrio is pretty common in any tank (in fact, like many bacteria, it's just plain pretty common anywhere...) and is usually only an issue when (1) the animal is stressed due to poor water quality, or (2) something causes a bloom in the bacteria population, which can potentially overwhelm your seahorse's immune response. Keeping the tank at a lower temperature slows the division process of the free bacteria, thus keeping the general population of these little buggers at a low count.
There are drawbacks to the lower temperatures, of course. Most of our tropical corals will not grow quickly in these cooler temperatures, for instance. Many seem fine, but may not be as....prolific....as you will see in a tropically maintained aquarium. In my very humble opinion, this is a minor price to pay to help keep our seahorse critters healthy. If you could maintain a constant temp of 72-74, you should be fine.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by novahobbies http:///forum/thread/379537/time-for-a-few-pics#post_3347350
That is correct, but...... a tank in the lower range has some benefits. If you can keep your tank at 72, you will have slightly decreased algae growth, and more importantly you may have less issues with disease. The spectre in any seahorse tank is the threat of bacterial pathogens like Vibriosis..... this is a catch all term for diseases caused by the bacteria in the genus Vibrio. Many ulcerative diseases can trace their causes to Vibrio bacteria, such as snout rot, tail rot, and other skin lesions. Vibrio is pretty common in any tank (in fact, like many bacteria, it's just plain pretty common anywhere...) and is usually only an issue when (1) the animal is stressed due to poor water quality, or (2) something causes a bloom in the bacteria population, which can potentially overwhelm your seahorse's immune response. Keeping the tank at a lower temperature slows the division process of the free bacteria, thus keeping the general population of these little buggers at a low count.
There are drawbacks to the lower temperatures, of course. Most of our tropical corals will not grow quickly in these cooler temperatures, for instance. Many seem fine, but may not be as....prolific....as you will see in a tropically maintained aquarium. In my very humble opinion, this is a minor price to pay to help keep our seahorse critters healthy. If you could maintain a constant temp of 72-74, you should be fine.

Well that's the rub, the temp does go to 75 and I read that seahorses don't do very well with temps moving more than two points. Mine goes between 71 and 75..too large of a swing. I can make it stay at 75 with a heater.
I do have a generic type HOB filter. It moves water pretty good, but as a filter it's a bust. I could make it into a chiller with the ice probe and add a the temp controller that they sell for it. My tank is 30g so it is certainly small enough for a rig up like that...what do you think?

novahobbies

Oh yes, I think a single Ice Probe mounted in an Aquaclear or similar HOB will keep the temps in a 30 gallon tank down an average of 2 to 3 degrees, provided you don't have super bright lighting. Use the controller, set it to, say, 73, and you'll be golden.

novahobbies

BTW I'm so sorry we hijacked part of your thread, Teresa!!
My favorite pics in the list you posted are numbers 4 and 6.... the closeups of the horses are excellent!

I know this thread is old but i just came acrossed it and have to ask this question.
What kind of seahorse is that in the fourth pic? So beautiful!