Time to change the filter

lkb3493

Ok so I have an Emperor 400 and it is time to make my first filter change (at least I think it is)??. :thinking: From things that I have been reading it says to rinse something in the filter and replace the carbon. Also, I read I should do this once a month? Everyone agree?
I have 2 chambers with extra carbon holders that I assume I need to change and then I have two chambers with the blue sponge like cover where inside more carbon goes. I am thinking that I just rinse the blue sponge stuff in saltwater and then change out all of the carbon. Should I keep some of the carbon in there? Maybe mix some of the old with the new? Does it have "good stuff" in it? Hubby said he thinks we need to rinse the bio wheels but I said NO WAY!
We have had the tank up about a month and it has fully cycled. Already did a 10% water change and everything is still A-OK. In the midst of a diatom bloom but it seems to be clearing up now. (Didn't know about RO water at the time so it was filled with treated tap. Now topping of and changing with distilled till I can get a RO.)
All we have in the tank right now is a Royal Gramma. Also had a pepermint shrimp but lost him the other day. I think he starved. I didn't realize how much the gramma ate and I think I was not feeding enough for them both. I was trying to be careful but I should have actually watched the gramma to see how much I needed to add. Now I know.
Planning on getting a cleaning crew soon but I want to remove my cc and just do sand before adding anything else...
Thanks in advance for the advise!

turningtim

Don't rinse the Bio-wheel, if you're using it as part of your bio-filtration! The carbon is a debatable subject. Some run carbon 24/7, some will say that the carbon is used up after a couple of days. I run an Emp 400 but only run carbon/phos-ban once a month to polish the water. I don't use the pads, if I want to run mech filtration I just cut a pc of sheet poly filter that fits in behind the media containers and place the carbon in the media containers.
Bottom line, just throw away the carbon. If you want to use the pads thats fine but buying a sheet of poly fluff is much cheaper. Also I would think you could buy better carbon then whats in the pads anyway.
Good choice on the CC change, if you haven't already do a search on "cc to sand" tons of info on how to make the change.

Just a couple thoughts
Tim