Time yet before I move

timo

I'll be moving cross country in about 6 months. What have others done to bring their tanks with them and keep them alive? I've got a 55 with 2 4in. Triggers, 20 with a dominoe, and a 30 reef with many corals and 2 clowns (small) and a dwarf Angel.
I want to stand on the shoulders of those that came before me.
TimO
Lots of time to plan...Need lots of advise.

reefnut

What are you going to move them in... Truck, moving van... The reason I ask is room. How far are you moving? How hot/Cold will it be when you move?
As I'm sure you know, you will have to keep your water at temp and oxygenated. You can use a converter in the vehical to run heaters, chiller, etc... I don't think you will need a powerhead :D with the movement of the vehical but you will need tightly sealed containers with a way to get oxygen in.
This sounds difficult... Good luck

dreeves

It sounds like alot of stress on the fish which would probably cause them severe problems if they survived.
With that large of a move...one would probably best serve the interest of the livestock by providing them homes prior to the move...then re-establish once the move is finished.

M

mudshark

I've done this a few times.... and yes it does stress the livestock.
but it can be done.
1. Go out and buy a few (depending on amount of LR and animals
you have) I have two. big 35 to 40 gal trash cans.... preferable
Rubbermaid. They use non leeching plastic in their bins and since
your livestock will have to live in them for a long while is better
for them.
2. Then go to the local sports / outdoor store and buy one battery
operated air pump (live bait type), for each trash can.
The secret is that you cannot fill the cans too much cause they
get really heavy even before they get one third full....... so work
around that number to figure out how many cans you need.
3. Next, get loads of air tubing and an air stone for each bin.
make a small hole in the top center of each trash can lid to run
the airline through...... you have to use the lids to prevent
mess and evaporation.
4. depending on the duration of the trip, you will need lots of batteries
for the pumps.... they typically run a whole day on one battery
each and you can use a regular electric pump in the evenings
when you stop for the night.
The livestock must be taken into the hotel room with you at night.
this is why you cant over fill the cans to make them too heavy to move.
The room will have power so that you can provide light and air
to the livestock...... they have now become "night shifters"
light and food at night. Feed them only lightly and only a hour or
two after they have been in the room with lights on.
they adapt to this very fast and by the third night, when the lights
come on, they will be looking for dinner ;-)
As mentioned before, the outside temp during the trip is very
important, winter or summer are a BAD time to do this. Fall and
spring are usually fine.
Once you reach your destination the fun begins.... set up the
tank/s from scratch. Folks have re-used their LS with varying
results... I tried it once... never again. Use fresh / new LS, load
in you old LR, which will still be fine and let the tank cycle for
about 2 months. I used some "cycle aid" like Fritz 9 etc to help
speed it along.
In the mean time you need to maintain the live stock.... small
water changes every weekend, maybe more depending on the
bio-load.
It's hard work but once the tanks are up and running the livestock
live in the cans until the cycles are over, then SLOWLY put them
back into the tanks.... not all at once! the bio-load spike will freak
the aquarium balance out completely.
I found the fish do well in the trash cans.... they can't see out, so
I think they actually stress less after a bit.
anyhow, this is not for the faint hearted.... good luck.

timo

Moving from NW Floida to upstate NY in the fall or spring. Will have a medium sized UHaul.

ian

Why do you suggest no reusing the live sand? If you keep all the water from the tank and all the sand wouldn't that be okay if it was only for 2 days?

krux

i moved 800 miles with my sand and water, and had the fish in 5 gallon buckets with lids and airlines and battery operated pumps like above.
set up tank when i got here, let it run a day, and then put the fish back in it.
no losses, no serious parameter changes, but i wasnt moving anything too fragile, just fish and live rock.
i would imagine the biggest factor is finding a comtainer wide enough for your 4" fish to feel comfortalbe in. remember, they came to you in 1 gallon or less plastic bags though from where ever they were caught, so as long as you move fast, maintain oxygen and temp levels, and dont disturm your sand bed while moving, thus kicking up all kinds of detritus, you should be ok.
my drive was about 12 hours, not sure on yours, maybe 18?

timo

I would think 'cause of the bacteria that normally dosen't see air would do so...Just a guess,,, Causing that water to become toxic...
But you're right, after that water is changed out, even if that is contaminated, with water changes, could it be OK to use again... I mean, I paid good $ for it, and after all, didn't it come form that situation to begin with?

krux

pack carefully, and leave room on top of the kitchen table to hold the tank, leave the sand in it, with about an inch of water covering it. its a little heavy, but that way it doesnt disturb yer dsb.
be careful carrying it!
as for live rock, i went to my lfs and asked for a couple of the boxes they get their livestock in. nice insulated boxes. if he has a redemption charge on them just offer to pay him what it will run.
a couple of those easily held my wet newspaper wrapped liverock. hopefully if you have corals, you didnt epoxy them down. if you did you will have to move the rocks submerged, which is a lot heavier, and trickier as you need waterproof containers.

timo

I've driven from N.Y. to colorado straight before, but that was when I was in college. I'm sure I could do it again. That was about 1800 miles...boy was I tired! Well, as I say, time to plan!!!
Keep suggestions coming. Standing on the shoulders of those that came before me...Tim O;)

timo

Oh, Krux, you're suggesting moving the tank with the sand bed intact? Wow, I think I like it!
Have you done this?