Timer set-up

amandadee

Hey all,
I just got timers to run my 2-bulb 130w PC light. I'd like to set it up for 4 hours in the morning and 4 hours in the evening, so that I can enjoy the tank when I'm home and awake. I figured it was best to turn one light on for an hour and then have the other come on, then reverse the process when turning off. Here's my current set-up: 5am-9am one light on, with 6am-8am both on. Same with 5pm-9pm one light, 6pm-8pm both lights. Hope that makes sense.
Anyway, my question is: Has anyone ever tried a 12-hour lighting cycle like this, and what kind of results have you had? I went to the timers after having a bunch of red algae (cyano) spring up, and they've worked great for that. I'm just concerned that my xenia will be happy.

Thanks for any advice,
Amanda

littlebuck

well i have a 300 watt vho set up on my 29 gallon tank and my timer is set up to turn on at 8am and off at 8 pm. I havent had any trouble yet so dont see why you would have any problems

hot883

In my opinion I would turn them on in the am and then off in the pm. I don't think it's a good idea to give them "2 sets of a day". If you then have algea problems etc. then back off some on the length that they are on. Never heard of someone doing the way you described. :thinking:

mikeyjer

I haven't heard anyone doing it that way either. Here's my schedule, 1pm VHOs comes on, 2pm left MH comes on, 3pm right MH comes on, 6pm left MH goes off, 7pm right MH goes off, 12am VHOs goes off and moon lights comes on for 2 hours. This tank is in my bed room, I can NOT sleep with the moon lights on, only for viewing pleasure before I sleep. :happyfish