Timers???

marinemarty

Hi All, Just a quick question? What are the advantages and disadvantages of using an intergral timer vs a regular timer. I plan on using this for my lighting system. 2 175 MH and 2 95 watt vho. The MH are powered by a remote Tar ballast and the VHO are powered by an ice-cap 430. Thanks Again. Also if anyone knows a good store to get timers that would be nice too :)

jumpfrog

What are the advantages and disadvantages of using an intergral timer vs a regular timer. I plan on using this for my lighting system.
Not sure what you mean an integral timer. Could you explain please?
I just use plain old timers from Wal-mart. Seem to work just fine.

broomer5

The advantage of having an integral digital timer is that it can be wired directly to the lighting circuit, and not have the 3-prong plug to deal with.
Integrals can be mounted in a panel, or you can run a series or entire bank of them along a wiring route - and that looks professional and pretty cool.
Standard timers - we all know that story.
Trying to find a powerstrip with the ground plugs in the right direction, and having timers all stacked up along multiple powerstrips.
If I had my druthers - I'd buy ALL integral digital timers, and build a timer panel enclosure, with all wiring terminating in this enclosure. Easy clean access to the timers - and would look good too.
Form vs function - they all pretty much work fine.

zeppelin

Originally posted by broomer5
The advantage of having an integral digital timer is that it can be wired directly to the lighting circuit, and not have the 3-prong plug to deal with.
Integrals can be mounted in a panel, or you can run a series or entire bank of them along a wiring route - and that looks professional and pretty cool.
Standard timers - we all know that story.
Trying to find a powerstrip with the ground plugs in the right direction, and having timers all stacked up along multiple powerstrips.
If I had my druthers - I'd buy ALL integral digital timers, and build a timer panel enclosure, with all wiring terminating in this enclosure. Easy clean access to the timers - and would look good too.
Form vs function - they all pretty much work fine.

Broomer, NICE setup! I'm in Ohio also, Columbus area. Just getting a 125 together for a reef setup. Looks like I'll be stealing your filter and light setup:D I'd love to pick your brain a little. Mail me at cfish@insight.rr.com if you don't mind a few questions.
Thanks
Larry:cool:

jumpfrog

Brian, thanks for the explanation. I'd never heard of those but my mind is spinning with the possibilities.
Probably the ugliest part of setup, the wire mess.
Cheers

broomer5

Intermatic makes a nice integral timer.
Easy to set up, 14 different programs ( recipes )
Several on/off set points can be configured each day, same or different depending on day of week or weekend.
This one was furnished with my ballast, but I saw them at Home Depot for same price as their 3-prong plug version.

broomer5

Yes - that's the timer.
Home Depot
Intermatic
Heavy-Duty Digital 7-Day Wall Switch Timer
Model: #SS7D87
SKU: #271585
$28.97
Works great - more expensive than other's - but very nice digital.

marinemarty

Thanks All, Hey how complicated are these things ( intermatic digital timer ) to wire to the ballast? do i need one for each ballast? I am still not sure what my MH ballast looks like, it is scheduled to arrive the 22nd;VHO are powered by an ice-cap430. I can not wait. BTW i ordered a 36 " hood with 2 175 watt MH and 2 95 watt VHO. I would like to have a the following sequence in lighting. 1 vho-1vho-1MH-1MH and the opposite at night. How many timers do i need??? Thanks Again,
Martin