Tiny starfish ID.

spline9

Ok, I try not to post an ID thread without a pic but its 3am and I think my camera might be acting up, dont want to stay up later trying to fiddle with it at the moment... :sleepy:
I found a tiny starfish today on some LR. Definately a hitchhiker. It would probably fit on the top of a #2 pencil eraser its so small. Light in color. Almost white. Short stubby arms. Thats about as good as I can get describing it. I'll post a pic asap but if possible, maybe somebody can ID it before I wake up. Heh.
Anybody have any idea on what it is? I think I may have seen a post or something about a small star like this before but I cant seem to find it. From what I remember, I might even think its not reef-safe.
TIA

bang guy

If the arms are not all the same length then it could be an Asterina Starfish. Most are reef safe but some eat corals.

spline9

Looking around (google), I think that might be what it is. It appears to be missing an arm, but maybe its the irregular arm length youre talking about.
Asterina starfish, or more commonly known as Fiji starfish are generally dime sized or smaller with a large body and irregular arm length. They tend to hide among corals and in the crevices of the live rock during the day and can sometimes be seen clinging to the corners of the tank. This type of starfish has been shown to eat coralline algae and will eat small polyp stony corals; specifically Acropora, xenia, green star polyps and several types of soft leather corals. These starfish divide across the main body with two or three legs of varying lengths and multiply rapidly. Remove these starfish when found.
I took it out when I first found it. Its in a little tupperware tub floating in the tank now. Heh. Maybe I'll frag a small bit off my xenia, put it in there and see if it lasts.

bang guy

I disagree with the writeup. Only a few species of Asterina eat corals. If you found it on your glass and not on coral then it probably just eats bacteria.

sergeant

When I got my daisy polyps I had a couple of those hiding on the rock and the polyps did just fine. I can testify for the multiplication. Within a few months I had about 20 of them.

spline9

The star was found on a LR I bought with a bunch of mushrooms on it. It was on the rock, not the mushrooms. I'm still at work right now... I'll post a pic later tonight. Hope it helps.

salty cheese

The one I found about a week ago hasn't moved more than 3 inches from the spot I first found it, it's always on the lr, which by the way has coralline on it. Is it reef safe?