tips for moving to a larger tank

todj2002

ok, so right now i have a 55 gallon tank. im looking at buying a 100 gallon tank. im wondering if i can basically fill the 100 gallon about half way with new water, then start adding my 55 gallon tank water to it. maybe put in 15 gallons from my existing tank, then let it circulate in the 100 for awhile. then put 15 gallons back in the 55 from the 100, wait a little, then repeat that process a few times. then begin moving my inhabitants to the 100 gallon. would this be to much new water and reak havock? i have corals and anemones and several fish. i guess i really just need some tips/advice on making the change. also is your everday house able to withstand the weight of the tank? will prolly use the 55 for the sump so this will be alot of weight! will i need to support the floor? going to look at the tank tomorrow. found one for $400 - for the tank and stand. already talked him down to $350 on the phone. cant wait to check it out.

whitebird

yes you can about a year and a half ago we did it a move from a 75 gal to a 125 gal after getting the 125 set in place and made sure of no leaks and having around 75 gal of water mixed and everything ready to go we did the move first we took down the 75 and put everything in tubs and took the old sand and some new in the 125 and used all the water from the 75 exept what the fish were in and put it in the 125 and then the live rock and finished filling with new water and let it settle for about 2 hrs then added the corals and fish , anemone , cuc and what every else we had and this was all done in 6 to 8 hrs and no problems at all and added a 50 gal sump a month or so latersome may have other opions but this worked for us with out any loss

todj2002

thanks. i think the tank may still be up and running at this guys house from the sounds of things. i hope so then i can see if it leaks or not before i take it home. (if i do) my wife is gonna shoot me.
but im am really stoked. I WANT IT!!!!!

And does anyone know anything about the weight issue?

todj2002

Anybody? im going to look at this tank at 5pm. i am needing to know about weight issues. will a 100 gallon tank be ok with a sump without bracing the floor joices? please any info will be greatly appreciated. nervous about the whole thing. HELP!

snakeblitz33

Originally Posted by TODJ2002
http:///forum/post/3139957
Anybody? im going to look at this tank at 5pm. i am needing to know about weight issues. will a 100 gallon tank be ok with a sump without bracing the floor joices? please any info will be greatly appreciated. nervous about the whole thing. HELP!

Are you putting the tank on a second floor? Are you putting the tank on an above ground house? Are you putting the tank above a basement? Can you get ahold of your house plans?
I know when I put a 350g tank on the floor of an above ground house, I went up under the house and put several braces across the bottom of the house. I laid a concrete slab and everything. Didn't want anything moving around on me. Then again, this is slightly less than half of that weight, so It's your call... but why take the chance?
Your floor could always slowly shift under the weight and cause pressure points on the glass... CRACK BREAK BAM!

todj2002

Originally Posted by SnakeBlitz33
http:///forum/post/3140041
Are you putting the tank on a second floor? Are you putting the tank on an above ground house? Are you putting the tank above a basement? Can you get ahold of your house plans?
I know when I put a 350g tank on the floor of an above ground house, I went up under the house and put several braces across the bottom of the house. I laid a concrete slab and everything. Didn't want anything moving around on me. Then again, this is slightly less than half of that weight, so It's your call... but why take the chance?
Your floor could always slowly shift under the weight and cause pressure points on the glass... CRACK BREAK BAM!
My house is a split level home. i guess thats what u call it. the tank will run parallel to the joices and be close to the wall. it sits above my tool room so i can pretty easily support the floor with some 4x4's and 2x10. WOW im am nervous about this entire deal. i have spent a LONG time getting my 55 gallon looking like it does.
i really want the bigger tank tho. my tank is full! i would be stoked to get some new fish.

Originally Posted by SnakeBlitz33
http:///forum/post/3140041
i have a 210 gal tank with a 55 gal sump, i do recomend bracing your floor a bit, like this person said, why take the chance. You fiugure we have thousands of dollars in these tanks, why risk all that time and money for about 20 bucks worth of materials and a days worth of work. My tank is also by the wall but i had a friend of the family look at the framing of the house and then we concreted in some pier blocks along the front half of the tank and ran 4x4 up to the joices. there are many ways to do this and once again just like stated above, its your call, but IMO its not worth rolling the dice

todj2002

Thanks for the advice guys. reallly appreciated. i cant express how nervous i am about moving all my stuff into a new tank. anyway..... i went to go look at the tank and it is not at all what i want! the stand is nice but it is built in a way so that u cant fit a decent size sump in it. also the tank is tall, not long.
it reallly was not what i hoped for at all. HOWEVER, in his living room he has a 135 gallon set up that is exactly what i would like. long with a nice big stand. several front doors and can easily accomodate a nice sump. he said he would sell me that tank and stand and heaters pumps ect. for $600. now i am really thinking!!! i would love it but.... i only have a 250 mh light. i have a 4 foot pc with 4 65 watt bulbs i could put with it i guess till i can get another light.
would two 250 mh lights be enough for a tank that size?
i would also need a bigger return pump. will definately put some support under this one. will need more live rock and aaghghghgghhh.... so much to think about.
i really want to do it... maybe call him back tomorrow and offer him $500 and see what he says

E

eric b 125

i went from a 55 to a 125 early this year. i am so glad that i did that. of course i still have a lot of work to do to get the 125 to where i want it, but to me that's a big part of this hobby. a piece of equipment here and there, a few extra rocks every now and then, and things start to really shape up, especially during the winter months. you'll be more than doubling your water volume which translates into a lot more possibilities and options. i say go for it. also, there are a bunch of places that do pre and post macna sales and specials so this is a good time to get equipment.