to all aquarium keepers

kablamo

from what I can tell, reef keepers fall generally into three categories:
A- have bottomless pockets,
B- are obsessed.
C- both
I fall into the obsessed category personally... I am curious as to what category my fellow saltwaterfish.com members fall in.
Also, I'm curious, Has anyone out there lost a loved one because of your hobby, I don't mean accidental drownings, but rather, has a girlfriend, boyfriend, wife, or husband left you or accused you of loving your fish more than you love them?
It would seem that this might happen very often.
I would like to hear some stories!

zibnata

I started getting obsesed and my wife was getting upset.I was giving the tank more attention.She said I would rather live in the tank.Not a bad idea because the woman fish cant nag . ( JUST KIDDING )Sensitive beings those women.The tank and computer are in the family room,but being in the same room with her just isnt enough. When I am on this site she asks " How are your fish geek friends doing ? " Gotta sit on the couch with her.Oh well.Maybe she has a point.

debbie g

Ha ha! Zibnata, "fish geek friends" is exactly what my daughters call this board too! Too funny.
I am moving to a new house on July 1st. I planned the house around my fish tank. My husband told me not to set up the fish tank until the rest of the house is set up because he knows that once I get the tank running, the rest of the house will be neglected. :yes:
I doubt I am putting my marriage in peril with this hobby, but I do stretch its limits sometimes. :D (Then again, if he ever looked at the receipts related to the fishies, hmm...maybe I could be in trouble....
I knew I was pushing it when he was talking about going on vacation and I told him I'd be afraid to go on vacation and leave the tank in someone else's hands. That didn't go over too well. I suppose it is an obsession. Oh well, there are worse things we could do!
Can't wait to hear everyone else's stories!
Debbie G
:happyfish

flipper263

Hmmm 'fish geek friends'....not exactly what my hubby calls all of you people....but the point is the same I suppose.
He has already called me an addict on more than one occasion...and we have talked about SWfishies anonymous:D
It takes lots of time to take care of the SW compared to the FW and I think he has a hard time waiting for things like quarantining and acclimatizing......if he had it his way, we would have the fish in the tank after 15 minutes of floating the bag.
It was really tough keeping him optimistic about the hobby when we lost most of our livestock to an ick outbreak. He was ready to go FW with our 120. Luckily though, he loves the fish too and often talks about where we should put a 250 gallon tank...so our marriage is still safe. :cheer:
That takes care of the obsession part.....as for the bottomless pocket....well....lets just be thankful for credit cards.
Brenda:jumping:

T

thomas712

Originally posted by zibnata
When I am on this site she asks " How are your fish geek friends doing ? " Gotta sit on the couch with her.

Good idea, just park it on that couch and pop in Finding Nemo and spend some quality time with her. :yes:
Thomas

nflnutswif

I personally am addicted to this site! I turn it on at work and all day peek at new topics! I've learned alot but think this hobby is MOST enjoyable when it is SHARED with your mate! We enjoy the evening time after dinner feeding our fish kids and watching their antics together!
We also SHARE his hobby of Texans and Cowboys FOOTBALL!
hence the screename!!!!!!!!
:joy: :cheer: :jumping: :) :happyfish :happyfish

T

tizzo

Can't post long, but my hubby calls you guys my fish nerd friends, and tells me that I have no life. He also acts all jealous when I get on the PC, but I remind him that I was just sitting with him for an hour and he didn't even notice I was there!!! (ESPN)

It is nice to have someone to share any hobby with. My husband is the one who suggested we get the SW set up. I was so excited about it. I do a lot of the cleaning, maintainence, but he puts in the financial support. I try to have the tanks cleaned by the time he comes home from work so he only sees them at their best.
SW tanks is not a cheap hobby, if you do it right.

clown_nut

My fiance got me started with the freshwater fish while back. She had no idea how fascinated with it all i would get. I quickly added two additional fish tanks throughout our tiny single bedroom apartment. All of them fairly small the largest bein 26 gallons. Rangeing from Gold Fish to Gubbies and Gourmies...Now i am goin for saltwater fish and with no more fiance and no more apartment to pay for...lol i aint got deep pockets but i am manageing.

jes281

my wife does not mind the tank, she does admire it though.
she does not help in the cleaning and upkeep but she also does not complain about the money spent. as long as the lights stay on and the water is still running she is supportive and loving.
how could i ask for anything more???

bigsteve

My grandfather got me started in fishkeeping when I was 3-4 years old. Of course, started with a goldfish.
Now, I've done him one better and have gotten the SW bug... he's still skittish about it, but admits he'd like to try it out. He's got a beautiful 150g. setup with two huge oscars... I told him if he wanted, we could do a helluva reef :yes:. Just gotta wait for the oscars to go I guess... lol.
As far as my girlfriend, she didn't like the fish idea when I first started dating her. I believe her words were, "Great... my friends think their boyfriends are weird because they like the X-files... mine wants to be resurrected as a fish." Now, however... it's "Let's go to the fish store!!! It's Tuesday!! They got their shipment!!!" And she's already looking for a deal on a big tank for when, and if, we move in together. Like they say... if you can't beat 'em, join 'em. And she joined my obsession :D

barry cuda

Sometimes I think fishkeeping is the best thing that's happened to my marriage. For once the wife and I have something we're BOTH excited about...:D

nickeleye

My girlfriend used to think I was crazy spending so much attention to my tank. Then one day when she was bored she actually looked at it and was amazed with all the life inside. Didn't take long for her to become addicted after that.
Now the only problem is we fight over who gets to sit in the chair next to the tank. :D

benj2112

Obsessed and have extra student loan money to pay for everything. Yeah...now I have to pay it back starting in December....but 2.84% isn't bad.

lovethesea

Originally posted by Debbie G
(Then again, if he ever looked at the receipts related to the fishies, hmm...maybe I could be in trouble....

RECEIPTS??? What are those? :D

bigsteve

Yeah... the receipts are the first thing I get rid of. That way I don't realize how much money I've spent in this hobby:D

archon

funny i saw this thread cause my girlfriend is over and she always gets mad that i sit on my computer all day, but this time i was getting on the computer to get on swf.com and she was trying to get me to come cuddle with her. right now she is asleep though and got mad cause i started listening to music and woke her up and tried to kiss her. she gets mad sometimes when i just sit and stare at my fish tank. she always says why do you always sit there and stare at your tank when im over. of course i tell her well... im looking for new growth and such. my gf really likes my tank, but she is the type thats like YEAH THAT FISH IS COOL... i just dont wanna stare at it for a few hours like you do...
i guess i am addicted. i have a 20g freshwater and a 10g and 45g sw in my room. everyone who comes in my room is like wow 3 fish tanks... i live with my dad and stepmom and my stepmom doesnt really like animals. the way i got into fish was that was the only animal my stepmom would allow me to have(i originally wanted a cameleon(SP?)) also my dad used to have a few big freshwater tanks. i always joke with my stepmom saying i was gonna buy some random fish that requires more than 45g so im going to have to get a 100g + tank and she just looks at me stupid. im glad i have a big room though cause i surely wouldnt be able to fit these tanks otherwise.