To lid or not to lid ?

cielo

I'm setting up a 20 gallon nano reef. I have my tank but I have a question about th etop. My LFS told me to keep the top fully enclosed...glass with the cut out strip at the back. How important is it to fully enclose the tank top or do some of you have open reefs? My lights are going to be fixed above it.
Thanks

T

thomas712

Leave it off, you'll need the gas exchange. It would also grow mucho mucho algea on the surface of the glass, thereby blocking much of your lighting.
Thomas

R

ricksreef

if you leave it off (which i do),keep an
eye on evaporation.on a 20g, salinity
can change quickly.

leigh

what about on bigger tanks? 55? 90? 180? ...do some people still go lidless? Or does evaporation get out of control?

ophiura

Many people go topless. Just keep in mind that it can depend on the lighting. Some systems really don't react well to salt exposure :D

alsie

With pendant light had to go topless for reef or would have had too much heat. I've heard that some (to protect fish from surfing out) use a lighting diffuser (used on florescent light fixtures, it's grated plastic) purchased at Home Depot placed on top of the tank will allow jumpers to stay in and light to work properly.

A

angelofdeath132

i'm getting a Coralife 2x65 aqualight it has "feet" that sets the light about 2" above my 55, i plan on going topless.