to many fish?

warble

I have a 20 gal. with 3 damsels a clown a yellow headed gobie and a scatlet shrimp and my water is getting pretty clowdy . Do I have to many fish,if not how many fish can i pute in. If it matters i have a prism protien skimmer and about 20 pounds of LR.

wamp

If it were me, I would get rid of the damsels, but, if you like them keep em..
Now for a question for you.. What is your substrate? The Gobie stirs alot of sand and that might be your problem...

hockeyplyr

general rule of thumb is 2 to 3 fish inches per gal but best thing to do is watch your NH3 levels . add fish slowly and not too many at once .IF NH3 and Nitrite and nitrate is = to 0 then add on fish watch water for one month NH3 if NH3 goes up then Nitrite's will rize and then fall when Nitrates go up the NH3 should go down again . You can add fish when NH3 decreases. be carful not to over stock.

fshhub

in a 20 galllon i would add no more than one or 2 smaller fish, maybe 3 if they are real small species, and figure the adult size of the fish, not the purchase size, you do have too many, IMO,
the clown and maybe the gobie, depending on the species you have, is where i would stop
and PLEASE DO NOT ADD 2 TO 3 INCHES OF FISH PER GALLON!
that is waaaaaaaaay overstocking, maybe ok for fw, but in salt, the general rule is 1 inch per 5 gallons of water(figured on the adult size, mind yuou)
the best guide is the ability to maintain stabel water qulity over time, but it is generally close to one inch per five gallons
HTH