to many skimmer bubbles

warble

I have a red sea Prism protein skimmer in my tank, it works great but it pumps to many microbubbles in my tank. The directions suggested turning down the flow but that hasnt worked.

bigred

is it new or did you just clean it? Because when it is either of those the air is still in the filter from when you filled it up with water. Give it a day and it should be gone. It happens every time I clean mine.

hound

I have a seaclone skimmer that was putting out a small amount of bubbles. I took a pair of the Other halfs panty hose. Cut the foot or toe area out and used it on the overflow of my skimmer. No more bubbles.

drummerboy

I have a cpr backpak, but had the same thing at first. When they are new, they will do that for a while, you just have to let them run thier course. Also, did you add anything? Almost any additive (declorinator did it do mine) increases the surface tention of the water and will make it do that for a while.

predator

Chevron tang had this problem with the skimmer I traded her. Could not figure out why. Does your water comeing back into the tank hit rocks directly when coming out? Thats what was happening with hers. She moved a piece of rock and it stopped right away.

jumpfrog

Mine did the same thing and I think I figured something out. Try moving the airline back to the plugged stub (on the left) and open the flow valve all the way. You'll see a ton of bubbles and water will flow very fast. After about a minute the bubbles are practically gone. Move the airline back to the right plug and adjust your flow down to where bubbles rise just below the o-ring. Any bubbles at all from the outlet should be very small and limited. In a day gone completely. HTH

taku

So too many microbubbles are a bad thing? Or you just don't prefer that many bubbles in the water for viewing purposes?
I ask because I've got several powerheads aimed across the surface of the water to agitate and I push around a lot of bubbles in the tank.

kracker

I had the same problem with mine.Just keep adjusting the intake till you get no bubbles.I have mine almost shut and it still works great.