to the ICH pros

bgbdwlf2500

this has me curious.
Im pretty sure i can see hypo being the best way to kill ich - no issues there.
heres my problem though. when you are getting new fish do you hypo them in the QT from day 1?
I ask because i feel like you dont, that you just put a new fish in the qt while the params are normal and leave it there for 4 weeks. If there are no signs of disease do you figure ich is not there?
My feeling is that the fish does have it and the fish wasnt stressed enough for it to show. i say this because ive bought fish and they did great for 2 weeks and then an outbreak and they die (didnt know about this site to try to save them).
guess what im saying is i believe my dt has ich all the time even though no fish has had ich for like 4 months (knock on wood)
anyway thats my thoughts...

beth

Administrator
Staff member
I'm perfectly fine with not hypo-ing unless necessary. Not hypo-ing will reduce any risk of inadvertently making the parasite less susceptible to hypo. However, if you feel at all unsure about being able to detect ich, etc., then by all means, hypo-ing is fine.

bgbdwlf2500

Originally Posted by Beth
http:///forum/post/2657286
I'm perfectly fine with not hypo-ing unless necessary. Not hypo-ing will reduce any risk of inadvertently making the parasite less susceptible to hypo. However, if you feel at all unsure about being able to detect ich, etc., then by all means, hypo-ing is fine.
guess what im getting at was since you dont hypo do you assume that after 4 weeks and no signs that ich is not on that fish? i feel like there is

i understand how keeping a tank fishless would kill them off to...

al mc

Originally Posted by bgbdwlf2500
http:///forum/post/2657293
guess what im getting at was since you dont hypo do you assume that after 4 weeks and no signs that ich is not on that fish? i feel like there is

i understand how keeping a tank fishless would kill them off to...
Most people use the QT to observe their new arrivals for 4 weeks. This allows them to get over any stress assocaited with being shipped and maybe being transfered between several holding tanks before they come to you, make sure they are eating, and observe for any signs of disease. After the 4 weeks they assume that if their was a parasite present their was an excellent chance that they would have seen it and treated it.
After battling Ich when I first started in this hobby a couple years ago I have gone to hypoing all fish in a QT. I do not want to have to braek down one of my reefs ever again by taking the chance of letting it slip by me undetected.
If you feel that you have ich in your DT, then why hypo, just observe to make 'destress' and observe for other diseases.

sepulatian

Many people do hypo right away, I do not. In a QT setting there is usually only one fish. If the fish has ich, the ich is going to fall off and multiply. There is then only one host for the ich. They multiply by the hundreds. You would notice. You do have to observe them very carefully for signs of ich and treat as needed. If you are nervous about being able to spot the parasites then you can hypo the fish anyway or keep them in quarantine longer.

T

tizzo

I didn't at first. Hypo all new additions that is.
I had my tangs in qt for 3 weeks, then in my dt for another 3. THEN the little ick bastages appeared.
I will hypo all fish in the future.

sepulatian

Originally Posted by Tizzo
http:///forum/post/2657446
I didn't at first. Hypo all new additions that is.
I had my tangs in qt for 3 weeks, then in my dt for another 3. THEN the little ick bastages appeared.
I will hypo all fish in the future.
For a tang I would never just keep them in QT for three weeks. They are one kind of fish that I think would benefit from going straight into hypo. That is simply because of how likely it is that they will be carrying parasites. I usually keep all fish in QT for at least a month or so for observations. I only do three weeks for non fish.

T

tizzo

See, now when my qt is available, I was thinking of doing non fish for 6 weeks, incase anything is carrying ick in.
Snail shells, coral rocks, even LR if there was fish in the tank.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
The problem with sharing a fish QT with inverts is that if you ever use meds in that QT, then the LR/inverts may be adversely effected. If you are concerned about that, then set up a rubbermaid with a powerhead and heater for 2 weeks. Good idea to let LR cycle anyway.

bgbdwlf2500

Originally Posted by sepulatian
http:///forum/post/2657420
Many people do hypo right away, I do not. In a QT setting there is usually only one fish. If the fish has ich, the ich is going to fall off and multiply. There is then only one host for the ich. They multiply by the hundreds. You would notice. You do have to observe them very carefully for signs of ich and treat as needed. If you are nervous about being able to spot the parasites then you can hypo the fish anyway or keep them in quarantine longer.
no i can see it just fine. i was just curious what the people did to QT that claim their DT has no ick. my thought is if you QT a fish and get no signs in 4 weeks theres still a good chance of ick being in the DT when that fish is introduced...UNLESS everyone was going into HYPO in their qt when they put a new fish in..

sepulatian

Originally Posted by bgbdwlf2500
http:///forum/post/2658395
no i can see it just fine. i was just curious what the people did to QT that claim their DT has no ick. my thought is if you QT a fish and get no signs in 4 weeks theres still a good chance of ick being in the DT when that fish is introduced...UNLESS everyone was going into HYPO in their qt when they put a new fish in..
I will tell you why I know that my tank has no ich. Ich has a direct life cycle. I have never quarantined anything for under a month. Meaning they get QT for more than a month. Now, as for my current stock. All kinds of things have happened that I wish did not. I have had heaters conk out, I have had it get over 84 degrees in there, rather rapidly. I have two kittens, they like to unplug things (not in a few months now), they have unplugged power heads and filters, only for me to find out later. I have had to move my tank. I had to remove the rock and inhabitants to move it into a different room. These fish have had a good amount of unintentional stress over the years. Not once, EVER, have they gotten ich. Ich is a parasite that MUST be introduced. There is no ich in my tank.