Toadstool Problems / HELP/ pics

dirty-d

When i got the toadstool it did great for 2-3 weeks then amazingly i thought it was already going through the molting process because none of the polyps were coming out and their was a film on the crown. Well that was about 2 months, the film has come and gone then back several more times and so on with little polyps showing. It has shrunk and stretched back and forth. Putting a powerhead blowing over it pretty good seemed to help a little, atleast for a couple of days. Also when i got it it had a bunch of broken rubble attached to the bottom of it that i have pulled off and i thought that helped but only for a couple days.
Does any one else have problems with these like i have? I do a 20% water change with instant ocean and feed marine snow. Also i have a charcoal filter but i dont think thats the problem. Water is
Calcium-450ppm
Dkh-10
Phosphates-.5 or lower
Ammonia-0
Nitrates-0
Nittrites-0
P.H.-8.2
Temp.-77-81

gamma

Have you moved it? Do you still have the powerhead blowing on it?
Ours went through that after we moved it. We noticed ours likes a good (Medium) flow with low light and room to move, it has moved from side to side and had it's face in a rock and in the sand before, does strange things. Now our clowns are hosting in it, that has taken several days for the toadstool to get use to.
Good luck!! :happyfish

dirty-d

Originally Posted by Gamma
Have you moved it? Do you still have the powerhead blowing on it?
Ours went through that after we moved it. We noticed ours likes a good (Medium) flow with low light and room to move, it has moved from side to side and had it's face in a rock and in the sand before, does strange things. Now our clowns are hosting in it, that has taken several days for the toadstool to get use to.
Good luck!! :happyfish

ive tried moving it and i still have a powerhead pretty much blowing right on it.........i think this has helped the most........my 2 cinnamons were hosting it maybe that might be part of the problem

mrmaroon

What is your lighting like? And how often do you do a water change? Do you use RO/DI water? I would stay on top of the changes and get the phosphate down. Usually, leathers are quite hardy.

seareef

It looks healthy, its showing its polyps, so i wouldn't stress...it will take awhile for the polyps to come back out...if you moved it that could affect it, light,water flow...so many things...he appears to be opening up...if it persists over a 3 week period then worry..as of now its normal behavior. Also it is complete normal behavior for these corals to just shart shedding everyonce and awhile to remove growths on itself.
Again dont worry, be happy man ;)
Also if you dont see it open ...you can frag the crap outta it.
Literally take a siscors to it ..and cut it into like 15 peices..and attach it to rocks...each will turn into lil leathers...in which you can sell/trade ..etc.

gamma

Originally Posted by Dirty-D
ive tried moving it and i still have a powerhead pretty much blowing right on it.........i think this has helped the most........my 2 cinnamons were hosting it maybe that might be part of the problem

The clowns might be part of the problem and the toadstool just might not be adjusting to them as well as ours is, we have clarki clowns. It doesn't look like it is doing too bad, it just doesn't look real happy. I understand your worry. Maybe it needs to be moved away from those rocks to have more room to open, that is the only thing I can see that might be a problem, I know a move isn't the best thing when a coral isn't doing well. Like I said before ours likes to move from side to side and up and down, it will move away from the flow and sometimes into the flow. If it has been like that for over a week I would say it isn't happy where it is. but that is just my opinion from my experience from owning one toadstool.
Once again good luck!

dirty-d

Originally Posted by MrMaroon
What is your lighting like? And how often do you do a water change? Do you use RO/DI water? I would stay on top of the changes and get the phosphate down. Usually, leathers are quite hardy.
my lights are 4x65 pc i do a water change weekly but i dont use ro/di cause i dont have the setup cause i live in a apt. building......is their a way that i could still have one to use without messing with the water lines? My phosphates are down now but still minimum results.

dirty-d

just fragged my toadstool couple days ago into 5 peices and netted them on small rocks.........they all seem to be doing fine
...........i also unplugged my charcoal filter a day after i fragged them and all the polyps came out on the frags
could this be why my toadstool was failing in the first place because of the filter :notsure:

seareef

Very well could have been thats why I only use my bio filter, but look at the bright side, when the get a little bigger you can sell them/trade them and have more corals...and over time one of your frags will become as big as the first one :)
Overall even if it was healthy to start out with I would have fragged it.
best of luck!