Tomato Clown eating live shrimp

donna2933

My tomato clown has eaten all my live shrimp in the tank. I had eight shrimp, including two LARGE cleaner shrimp, the only one remaining is a coral banded. Why is this fish eating all my shrimp? I saw him get my last large cleaner and bit him in half and the shrimp wasn't even around the clown. Don't guess there is any point in putting any more shrimp in the tank. Will he eat the coral banded? I wanted to keep cleaner shrimp for parasite control on fish.

bobsingh1

Funny, mine was other way around. I had a tiny percula which I loved. One day I came back from work and was counting my stock and the clown was missing. I finally found my cleaner shrimp enjoying the feast deep inside the rocks.

mr . salty

That is strange.We had a post about a month ago about shrimp that were cut in half and nobody could figure out how.I wonder now if it could have been a clown???STEVE

bobsingh1

Yep.. its true and not only that, when I tried to rescue the clown the shrimp would take it away further where there was absolutely no access. I finally gave up when I looked at the clown which was more than dead at that time.

donna2933

The clown I have is a large one and I saw him twice with the shrimp. One small shrimp was in his mouth with the feelers hanging out of his mouth and then today I saw him attack the LARGE cleaner shrimp. The cleaner shrimp was in the back of the tank on a rock and the clown came across the back and attacked the shrimp. I saw the shrimp in his mouth, he dropped the shrimp and it was broken in half. I have never known tomato clowns to eat shrimp but this one must have eaten every shrimp in my tank except the coral banded. Thanks for your input. DONNA

My coral banded was the only shrimp that my puffer didn't eat, but after he ate the others, I decided not to chance it and traded in the coral banded just in case. Are you feeding the Clown enough? I am sure that you take great care of it, I just wondered since most animals only feed when they are hungry.
~~Megan

donna2933

I feed my fish once a day, either a pinch of flake, brine shrimp or a vegetable combo. There are only 3 fish in the tank and the rest is corals, live rock & etc., reef tank. I've always been told not to over feed. Is the feeding procedure enough? Donna

angelfish

If you have a protein skimmer which I'm sure you must have since you have a reef tank then you can feed your fish probably a little more. I usually feed mine within a five min period. The food should not get past a third from the top of the tank. If it does then your fish are not that hungry. Also, I feed mine twice a day and all mine seem pretty happy in their environment. Hope this helps alittle
Angel

donna2933

Angel, thanks for the information. I will try feeding them more. I was just trying to keep the nitrate level down by not overfeeding. I do have a protein skimmer anf it runs 24/7. Thanks. Donna