Tomini Tang in a 46g?

made4water

I was told that this would be ok because this particular tang doesnt get that big and is very slow to grow. Is this the case?
here is a pick of my tank. the tang is not in the pick but he is about 3-4 inches long

stanlalee

not ideal but if your going to do it probably one of the better choice of tangs to do it with. Its not like tangs wont eat and live in a small tank, thats no indication of suitable conditions. A 3-4" tomini is not what I consider small. thats a medium size bristle tooth.

nicetry

The post title asks if it's okay to have this fish in a 46, yet you already have it. If you're looking for validation, you'll get some, but your tank isn't suited to this fish long term. This is a fish that will easily hit 6 inches, and like all other surgeon fish, they are active. Since you already have it, there's not much point in debating the pros/cons. Doubtful the fish will thrive or grow to it''s potential, being stunted due to lack of space.

anonome

First, you certainly have a beautiful tank, seems to be well maintained and I congratulate you on that.
The Tomini is a beautiful tang, and one of the smaller ones. Being a bristletooth tang it is a good tang for smaller tanks. However, here goes the bad news.......46g is a bit small for the fish. Not so much in the gallons, but in the length of the tank. They will quickly go stir crazy in a 4 foot tank. I would say to keep an eye on the fish, but be aware that you may need to trade the fish back in if it is stressed. (since you have already purchased it)

groupergenius

Originally Posted by nicetry
http:///forum/post/2847919
The post title asks if it's okay to have this fish in a 46, yet you already have it. If you're looking for validation, you'll get some, but your tank isn't suited to this fish long term. This is a fish that will easily hit 6 inches, and like all other surgeon fish, they are active. Since you already have it, there's not much point in debating the pros/cons. Doubtful the fish will thrive or grow to it''s potential, being stunted due to lack of space.

Originally Posted by Anonome

http:///forum/post/2847934
First, you certainly have a beautiful tank, seems to be well maintained and I congratulate you on that.
The Tomini is a beautiful tang, and one of the smaller ones. Being a bristletooth tang it is a good tang for smaller tanks. However, here goes the bad news.......46g is a bit small for the fish. Not so much in the gallons, but in the length of the tank. They will quickly go stir crazy in a 4 foot tank. I would say to keep an eye on the fish, but be aware that you may need to trade the fish back in if it is stressed. (since you have already purchased it)

Do ya'll have a Tomini?? I have 2. They are not major cruisers.
I understand the BIG tank philosophy on most tangs. Please don't bunch all Tangs into 1 category.

nicetry

Originally Posted by GrouperGenius
http:///forum/post/2847948
I understand the BIG tank philosophy on most tangs. Please don't bunch all Tangs into 1 category.

I've kept one in my 120. While not as schizophrenic as a yellow/purple or kole, it was active. IMO to say one will be fine in a tank of 46 gallons is irresponsible.

groupergenius

Originally Posted by nicetry
http:///forum/post/2847953
I've kept one in my 120. While not as schizophrenic as a yellow/purple or kole, it was active. IMO to say one will be fine in a tank of 46 gallons is irresponsible.
Kept...and was.... I hope it got transferred to a larger tank????

anonome

Originally Posted by GrouperGenius
http:///forum/post/2847948
I absolutely am not bunching all tangs into this category. The bristletooth tangs are good tangs for most smaller tanks, as long as the husbandry is there. I believe that by looking at this particular tank it is there. I am only stating that it may start to go stir crazy in the size and the poster should watch for this in case it starts to either upgrade, or trade the fish in.
I have a beautiful Tomini tang that is very active in my 125g. He covers every square inch of the tank.

made4water

I appreciate all of the advice........
I have alot of caves for him to swim through and he is def. putting them to use. he flys around this tank, which makes him very entertaining to watch. Hes also eating very well. I have to admit though this was an impulse buy and Im strongly considering bringing it back, simply because he looks like he needs more room. Maybe its just me but i dont want to do anything that would be cruel to the fish and because of his size he just looks too big. Is it typical for a lfs to trade out fish?

I have a Tomini and Yellow in my 30 gallon, However, they are only in there while my 75 Gallon is cycling, however both of my tangs are very small, about 2-2.5" they cover all of my tank as well. Eventually, by summer they will be in my 180. Althought the funny thing is in my tank he is very active, but the LFS he was very reclusive