Tomorrow is 9/11. Does that have any significance in your life?

crimzy

I always feel a bit strange when 9/11 rolls around. I have always thought that it should be made a national holiday/day of remembrance. I just don't feel right about tomorrow being business as usual.
Tomorrow I will come to work, do my everyday stuff, and I will take a few moments during the day to reflect on the events of 9/11/01. I just don't think this is enough to honor the victims of that horrific day.
Your thoughts...

kingsmith

Its hard to seperate ones self from the selfish desire to simply get a day off, but I would think that more than a halfhearted moment of silence that most places will have is deserved for all those who lost their lives or loved ones or who were and are effected by this tragedy.

I think it is more important to go on as usual to show that acts of terror will disrupt our free Nation. We can show respect by honoring those who fight to preserve our freedom.

crimzy

Originally Posted by jellyman1213
http:///forum/post/2752187
I think it is more important to go on as usual to show that acts of terror will disrupt our free Nation. We can show respect by honoring those who fight to preserve our freedom.
So you're suggesting that it's important to pretend that 9/11 did not cause a disruption in our nation. I couldn't disagree more. There is no such thing as a moral victory/defeat. They killed over 2000 people that day. I don't think that a national day of remembrance bolsters the terrorists... it just honors the victims. To ignore the magnitude of that attack does not weaken terrorists... it just makes us look cold and uncaring. JMO.

geridoc

I don't think anyone on this board takes what happened on 9/11 more seriously than me - I stood on the roof of my office and watched the towers fall, watched the police seal off my campus, and helped inventory cars that were not picked up from the train stations (to try to figure out who wasn't coming home, ever). But, I have to say I don't think a national holiday is appropriate for this horrendous event. The Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor killed 2117 Americans, and there is no dedicated remembrance to those soldiers and sailors. IMHO, Memorial Day should include those poor souls who perished on 9/11, since they really died in the early phase of a war, the outcome of which will determine our culture for many generations to come.

mimzy

i think going to work and getting on with our lives IS a monument to the tragedy. It is a nation showing that we will not be stopped, we will not be disturbed, we will not be moved, we will not be broken or driven into holes to hide. We *will* go on, we *do* go on, we will rebuild and make it better. They cannot take over our lives, minds, hearts. We will work. We will remember. We will prevent and defend and LIVE as monuments to those we lost.
The day will never be ordinary, but we will go to work on that day; as our lost ones did, and we will complete the day for them.
We will never forget. We will forge ahead.

reefraff

Originally Posted by GeriDoc
http:///forum/post/2752202
I don't think anyone on this board takes what happened on 9/11 more seriously than me - I stood on the roof of my office and watched the towers fall, watched the police seal off my campus, and helped inventory cars that were not picked up from the train stations (to try to figure out who wasn't coming home, ever). But, I have to say I don't think a national holiday is appropriate for this horrendous event. The Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor killed 2117 Americans, and there is no dedicated remembrance to those soldiers and sailors. IMHO, Memorial Day should include those poor souls who perished on 9/11, since they really died in the early phase of a war, the outcome of which will determine our culture for many generations to come.
I think you hit the nail on the head. Like pearl harbor day is at least to older folks 9-11 is a day for remembrance of a horrific event. Holidays are a celebration of a person or event.

hlcroghan

Most of the people in the Aquarium have an idea already about how I feel about 9/11. I was actually on my way to my new MP unit in Camp Pendleton driving when I heard about it. I had just come home from Japan about a month before. I remember how sad I felt that people could hate others so much, about how much this would change our lives, how no one in my generation would ever be innocent of this kind of tragedy, about how much work was ahead of us. I had just found out I was pregnant with my son at the time. I had mixed feelings about that. How could I bring a child into this world, where people could do such horrible things? And on the other hand, I had the thought of, life will go on and maybe how I raise my child will make a difference in the world for the better........at least I hope it does. I always feel like we should take a moment to reflect on those people and that we should honor their memory but that it should not stop us from living our lives and loving each other. I will still go to work and continue to function and hope that I see a day when the US no longer has to fight any kind of war over this horrible event.

devil dog

Originally Posted by Mimzy
http:///forum/post/2752234
i think going to work and getting on with our lives IS a monument to the tragedy. It is a nation showing that we will not be stopped, we will not be disturbed, we will not be moved, we will not be broken or driven into holes to hide. We *will* go on, we *do* go on, we will rebuild and make it better. They cannot take over our lives, minds, hearts. We will work. We will remember. We will prevent and defend and LIVE as monuments to those we lost.
The day will never be ordinary, but we will go to work on that day; as our lost ones did, and we will complete the day for them.
Well said

rebelprettyboy

Originally Posted by Mimzy
http:///forum/post/2752234
+1

ruaround

each person has something about 9-11 that will never leave their memories... (for me i was driving to work and heard the initial reprts that a smell personal plane crashed into the tower... when i got to work alot of the employees were huddled in the break room watching as the second plane hit)to declare a national day IMO would be a bad thing... take Pearl HArbor for instance... its practically forgotten... i know what day it was because my grandfather was a survivor... he floated in the pacific for 27 hours... Lest We Forget...

crimzy

Originally Posted by ruaround
http:///forum/post/2752392
take Pearl HArbor for instance... its practically forgotten... i know what day it was because my grandfather was a survivor... he floated in the pacific for 27 hours... Lest We Forget...
This is my point. I don't think that 9/11 should be forgotten. I don't think "its just another day!!!no differnt than any other day", as stated so elequently by Slack. To forget, or pretend that it didn't affect the people of this country is an injustice. This is JMO and I respect that most appear to have a different view.

reefraff

One thing for me that 9-11 did was demonstrate why my parent's generation felt the way they did about Pearl Harbor day. I got what pearl harbor day was about but didn't have the feeling about it the people who were alive at the time had.

ruaround

Originally Posted by crimzy
http:///forum/post/2752416
This is my point. I don't think that 9/11 should be forgotten. I don't think "its just another day!!!no differnt than any other day", as stated so elequently by Slack. To forget, or pretend that it didn't affect the people of this country is an injustice. This is JMO and I respect that most appear to have a different view.

if we declare it as a "holiday/day of rememberence" then this glorifies what the terrorists did IMO... "hey come attack us and we will give a day for the awful things you did to our country and people"... i just dont like that idea... dont get me wrong... it should be observed and thats it...

1knight164

Re-enlisted!!! Got tired of years and years of terrorist attacks with slap-on-the-wrist responses at which the terrorists saw us as weak. Yes, we gave a wake-up call to Khadafi and bombed Libya in 1986 and launched a few cruise missiles into Iraq in 1993 in response to terrorism, but most other responses were sanctions and diplomacy. Terrorist numbers grew and grew and as they grew, the attacks became bolder. It was just a matter of time before they got us at home. Hell, they hit the WTC a few years before 9/11. Would've never thought they would've succeeded on 9/11 and at the magnitude they did.
I would hope that September 11 would remind us that we're still not safe. Two-thousand plus people gave their lives to open up our eyes to the real threat. We can't let their sacrifices be in vain. Terrorists still want to get us. We can't get complacent. Recognize that the security measures that have been set in place have already stopped many attempts. But all it takes is one successful attempt to set us back again and give them a victory. And as Salty Blues said, who we choose as our next President is going to be key to our security at home.